It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• arthritis induced by crohns disease?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
    sadies mom
    (female)

sadies mom HB User
    arthritis induced by crohns disease?

Hello everyone~ I havn't been on for a while. But a new development in my journey to find out why I am so sick has developed and I need to see if anyone has heard of this before!? I saw a rheumy last week that I waited 3 months to see as he supposed to be the best in the area. Anyway~he was very kind and thorough took a little over 2 hours to complete my history and exam. He is sending my blood work to a lab in California that deals soley with arthritis/autoimmune diseases. He was asking about my history and I routinley told him I had been dx with crohns several years ago~but, that it has been in remission for a while now. Actually my biggest stomach complaint is bloating and constipation from pain meds. Any way~he suggested that the crohns that I thought was in remission had taken a turn and resurfaced as arthritis!! I knew they were both autoimmune related but, I never realized the crohns could cause arthritis!! He is also checking me out for other illness such as lupus, RA, Hepatitis C and thyroid. Have any of you ever heard of this relation between crohns disease and arthritis? And if so~have you found successful treatment? I would appreciate any and all replies of experiences or diagnoses like mine. Thanks Sadies mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
    Trying2B
    (male)

Trying2B HB UserTrying2B HB User
    Re: arthritis induced by crohns disease?

I Am Not Sure About Crohns, But I Have Ulcerative Colitis, Crohns Cousin, And Have Degenerative Disc Disease In My Lower Back. I Have Researched Crohns And Colitis And There Are A Lot Of Physical Problems That Are Associated With Them, Arthritis Being One Of Them. Don't Know If This Helped Any, But Good Luck And Hope You Start Feeling Better!

Old 10-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
    sadies mom
    (female)

sadies mom HB User

Thanks for your reply~I thought no one was going to answer me!! I've been trying to do research on it and can't find much in the literature about crohns. But the Dr. said they are definatly related. Do you do anything special for treatment? How long have you had the arthritis from when the colitis was diagnosed? I have always had colitis, IBS, and now since a colonoscopy~they are calling it crohns. My stomach has always been a challenge and difficult to find the right balance. Now I guess I have one more challenge to add to the mix.Thanks again; Jan

Old 10-13-2005, 05:21 AM   #4
    Trying2B
    (male)

Trying2B HB UserTrying2B HB User

Hi Jan, I have always had back problems but didn't know it was arthritis until I got a MRI in 1995. I would take Motrin 800mg first thing in the morning on a empty stomach and was going through a divorce too. I got full custudy of my two girls at that time who were 9 and 12. Anyway, between the stress and Motrin I developed ulcerative colitis in 1996. I did a lot of reseach on it and they say they don't know what causes it but stress was a factor. I guess that is what the doctors say when they don't know. The medicine was very $ and I don't have insurance, but it cleared it up. I would get the occasional flare ups now and then. I think food is something to look at. I had to change to a lactate free milk, no ice cream, etc. I noticed when I ate these things I would have some changes the next morning going to the bathroom. I get a colonoscopy every 3 to 5 years. I read that vitamin K is good for it. I got a lot of info at the bookstore. There are some good web sites too. I can go on and on about it. Usually, in the books you will see they talk about both. Crohns being the worse. Well, Jan I don't know if I answered your ? or not but I will check the posts every day so if I could help let me know. I will find the books I have I give you the titles. They say age is also a factor as far as when you might get this disease. Talk to you later, have a great day, Joe

Old 10-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
    sadies mom
    (female)

sadies mom HB User

Hi~ It's really not the Crohns I need the info about. But, rather the arthritis and inflammatory relationship between the two ailments. Having had IBS/Crohns for so long~I know all the basics. What is new to me and thatI need more info on is the link between the crohns and arthritis. Good luck to you~I hope you are feeling better each day! Take care;

Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
    Irishgal
    (female)

Irishgal HB User

im not sure if it can be induced. i was diagnosed the other way around. arthritis when i was 16 and at 21 crohns. they said to me that crohns was linked with arthritis and sme of my joint swelling could be arthritis or could be crohns
    i hope you are ok

Closed Thread