It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Diarrhea from Ulcerative Colitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
    brucen32

brucen32 HB User
    Diarrhea from Ulcerative Colitis

Hi has anyone ever got acute diarrhea from ulcerative colitis (or ulcerative proctitis)? I was diagnosed with this over a year ago and it's been flaring up off and on. However, for the past week or so it's been really bad in that I have really bad diarrhea. With this condition normally there is an urge to go more often, but now I have to empty about 10 minutes after consuming anything. I'm not sure whether the diarrhea is caused by the colitis or an infection, or both. If it's an infection I imagine it will go away eventually, but will it go away if it's form the colitis? I can't eat anything and I'm getting really worried. I'm going for a blood test and stool test tomorrow. I'm losing weight like crazy and getting depressed. I can't even seem to tolerate saltless crackers or a soft banana. I'm trying to stay hydrated as best as possible with gatorade. The other weird thing is it's not totally watery like diarrhea I've had in the past. The stools are small and stringy but still have somewhat of a form and they usually explode out. And of course there is mucus and blood and when I wipe. Any advice or comments? What's going on?

Bruce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
    brucen32

brucen32 HB User
    Re: Diarrhea from Ulcerative Colitis

bump bump bump

Old 05-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
    john the bomb
    (male)

john the bomb HB User

Sure you can get diarrhea from inflammatory bowel conditions.That is what it is here!Keep eating and maintain nutrition.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
    brucen32

brucen32 HB User

Ok thanks. I will do that. Does it matter what foods I intake? I mean should I stay away from certain foods and favor others? Also. is it ever going to stop??? It's really affecting my work life.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
    C00kie
    (female)

C00kie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucen32
    Ok thanks. I will do that. Does it matter what foods I intake? I mean should I stay away from certain foods and favor others? Also. is it ever going to stop??? It's really affecting my work life.

Hi Bruce,

I have Crohns disease which is very similar to UC. The diarrhea should stop when you have the condition under control. You didn't mention if you're taking any medication and what success you've had with it? Perhaps you should discuss chaging your medication with your doctor if it's not working. Also are you getting the severe pain when you go to the loo or is it just diarrhea? In which case it could be an infection if just the diarrhea. I've battled with Crohns for almost 4 years now, chaning medications so many times I've lost count as they didn't work. After I reached a dead end last year I came across the work of Elaine Gottschall who devised a diet based on a gastroenterologists work as her daughter had severe ulcerative colitis. Have a look and see what you think, it's really restrictive at first but then you may find after a year that you can eat many of the things you couldn't. Do discuss this with your doctor if you want to try it, it is a strict medical diet.

All I can say is that I'm not on medication (which really is amazing for me) and I've taken back the control it had over my life - so long as I stick to the things I can eat that is! I have hardly any symptoms at all now from something which is so aggressive. If you do want any more information about it just look her up or the 'specific carbohydrate diet' and no it's not a fad diet. You should find after about three weeks of being on the diet a great improvement in your bowel movements. Do contact me if you want to ask anyting about it.

The question about it being an infection is difficult as well, when I was suffering with diarrhea and a lot of pain, I'd already tried another courses of steroids but that time it had no effect on bringing it under control. So along with my usual medication he precribed a really high does of anti-biotics for about a month (which probably ruined any good bacteria I had) - this kills off all bacteria good or bad and it did stop the flare up. So in a way it is an infection anyway. The good thing is this diet deals with that. The science behind it is too complicated for me to explain but reasearch it and see what you think, it makes sense. I was surprised that my doctor had never mentioned this diet to me but from seeing him every month I'm now not going to see him for two years unless I get ill in the mean time. Fingers crossed.

Hope you feel better soon, I know what hell it can be and yes it is normal with this condition when you hjave a flare up to go that often. At one point I would eat and whilst I was eating after a few minutes (not even 10) I would have really severe cramps and have to go to the loo, you're not alone!

Last edited by C00kie; 05-17-2006 at 01:42 AM.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
    brucen32

brucen32 HB User

Hi Cookie thanks for the reply. It's kinda comforting to hear other people's stories.

As for medication, 2 years ago a doctor had put me on Colazal (9 pills/day). And it seemed to work well. Stopped the bleeding and everything. But eventually I had to change insurance companies and I had to get a new doctor and things just became a mess because I was moving to Canada. So I stopped the medication and the bleeding did come back, but came and went, no really bad diarrhea or anything. At one point everything was so great and I was feeling wonderful, I was totally regular. But that didn't last long. And now two years later it's gotten really bad again. I can't say I have severe pain when I go, but there is a lot of blood and mucus everytime and it is really sore afterwards, presumably from just sitting on toilet so much and going so often. It's just an uncomfortable feeling, but not severe pain yet.

I now live in Canada, and yes the healthcare here is free, but the actual care sucks compared to what is offerred in America. I finally have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist, but that appt. is on June 20th! So I have to wait until then. I had the blood and stool tests last week and I'm still waiting on the GP to get back to me.

Anyways I looked into the SCD you mentioned. It sound very interesting and I'm definitely going to read up more on it. It does seem very restrictive, but maybe that's just because we have all been a little spoiled with all the processed foods we eat. One of the things that doesn't seem to make sense is that it says you should stay away from all sugars including fructose. Yet there are many fruits allowed which all contain high amounts of fructose (i.e. fruit sugar). Also I thought even commercial yogurt had no lactose in it and so it should be ok, but not according to the diet. Do you think it would help to not do the diet strictly, but follow it more or less on most of what it recommends?

I will discuss the diet with 'my' doctor when I get one, unfortunately the concept of having your own doctor here in Canada is a foreign one. Anyways, thanks again for your reply, I actually felt a little better down there after reading it

The following user gives a hug of support to brucen32:
    XxVelvetRose7 (10-26-2011)
    Old 05-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
    PollyGirl
    (female)

PollyGirl HB User

I've had UC on and off since 1992 and it is no joy
    Right now I am going through a flare - last one was 2 years ago. I also have fibromyalgia in the worse way and it is also in a flare. On top of all that, I think I am having an active infection of the Ebstein Barr again.

Currently I am not taking meds due to a quick outpatient surgery coming up on Monday. I hope to get this under control before I have to start taking the meds again. I take Asacol and Bentyl.

As far as foods to avoid - my gastro said to eat what I can and what is tolerable. Of course, he means eating good wholesome nutritious foods and not junk. I find that steamed carrots, salty broth, canned green beans, rice all work pretty well with me during a flare. Generally, raw foods do not sit well with me. Today cheese set me off and running to the bathroom.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Closed Thread