It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Thyroidectomy, anemia, Crohn's, thymus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
    HeyTres
    (female)

HeyTres HB User
    Thyroidectomy, anemia, Crohn's, thymus?

Help!! I had a thyroidectomy in October of 2004. I have Crohn's Disease, another auto-immune disorder. I had always wondered why after thyroid surgery, my iron levels would be WAY out of control, WAY low, then suddenly appeared normal, but now in general, I take one ferrous gluconate a day. I cannot "tolerate" the ferrous sulfate. Still, I feel what seems like symptoms of anemia, but supposedly the iron is normal. I have not felt normal or good since thyroidectomy. I have intense chest weightyness that is located - I just discovered online, and after ruling out my heart as having any issues - where the thymus is. This is another endocrine gland, it creates lymphocytes. My lymphocyte count is normally low because I take Purinethol for the Crohn's, or so that's what they're attributing it to. But I never felt this weightyness in my chest before thyroidectomy. I never had such intense fatigue, either. Hair loss, etc. It's possible I'm having absorption issues that create iron-deficiency, or issues absorbing the Levothyroxine, or converting T3. My thyroid levels appear to be in range at last check, but my symptoms are very, very, much there. Depression like I can't believe, and can't control. Massive mood swings during pms. If I exercise, I have to lay down for hours. If I do housework, my back is killing me, etc. I can't get through the day without Tylenol, at least twice daily. I am taking 175 mcg of Levothyroxine, and one day per week, I take half a tablet. I have looked up Wilson's Temperature Syndrome just for its incredibly good explanation of T3 conversion and that helped to know. Now I take my body temperature alot and it does always seem to be below normal. I am at my wits end. My doctor has me going to another endocrinologist on Thursday, but I've gone this route before, and they just send me to a lab and say the results appear okay. But I am far from okay. I could pass out from exhaustion and/or dizzyness each afternoon. There is a definition relation with thyroid and iron, I notice. This is incredibly depressing and frustrating. I don't know where to go from here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User
    Re: Thyroidectomy, anemia, Crohn's, thymus?

Some things to consider-
    - some people let their thyroid pills dissolve under their tongue to avoid irregular absorption problems if they have intestinal issues.

- make sure they have screened you for celiac disease, an autoimmune reaction to gluten that can also cause intestinal problems and is more common in thyroid patients.

- ask the endo to run a free T4 and free T3 with your next blood test - this will let you know if you are converting T4 to T3. Some people do better taking both T4 and T3, still other don't improve unless they take Armour (pig thyroid - the old-fashioned treatment that was used for decades before Synthroid came out.)

- Also, various vitamin deficiencies can interfere with proper utilization of thyroid hormone, and since you have Crohn's, you are at risk of deficiencies. What vitamins do you take right now?

Ellie

Old 05-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
    HeyTres
    (female)

HeyTres HB User

Thank you! I take a multi-vitamin, Vitamin E...B-12 shots, hmmm, what else...
    I saw an Endo doc today who is now doing the free T3 and T4 test. Phew. And they may want to take me off Levothyroxine and switch me to Levoxyl plus Liothyronine, which has its own T3. These doctors don't believe that Armour is better just because it's an animal derivitive (because it's also really expensive). So, we'll see! I never heard of celiac disease....

Old 05-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User

"These doctors don't believe that Armour is better just because it's an animal derivitive (because it's also really expensive). So, we'll see! I never heard of celiac disease....
    "

Armour is actually very, very cheap. And was used successfully for decades before Synthroid was invented. When Synthroid came out, pharm reps engaged in a campaign of disinformation so that docs would quit prescribing Armour and switch to (more expensive ATT) Synthroid. Most docs don't understand that there is no scientific basis for many of the lies they were told about Armour. That being said - some people seem to do great on it, others don't.

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease caused by a reaction to the gluten in wheat and certain other grains. Classic symptoms include chronic diarrhea, weight loss, and sometimes a particular skin rash called dermatitis herpetiformis, but many people have much milder symptoms. People with celiac disease have abnormalities on biopsy of the small intestine, and those changes revert to normal if they follow a strictly no-gluten diet. Although a small-intestine biopsy is considered the "gold standard" of diagnosis, blood tests for antibodies (anti-ttg or anti-ema or anti-gliadin) can do a pretty good job of screening for it. It's the rare case of an autoimmune disease totally treatable by diet.

Ellie

Old 05-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User

PS -
    Here's a link to a research paper about the high incidence of celiac disease in patients with Crohn's disease.

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=15973121&query_hl=12&i tool=pubmed_docsum[/url]

They found 20% had celiac disease. You might want to print this off and discuss it with your doctors.

Ellie

Closed Thread