It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• IBS and Crohns or Pancreatitis????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
    Irishgal
    (female)

Irishgal HB User
    IBS and Crohns or Pancreatitis????

I was diagnosed with crohns 5 and a half years ago. When i was diagnosed i had a severe pain in my upper abdomen inbetween my ribcages and a pain lower down on the right. they said that the upper pain was prob ulcers... so that was that

ive had the upper pain a bit through out the years. the past 8 months ive had it quite severe. my gp gave me protium which started to help and then stopped. ive had 2 endoscopies and both have been fine. i was on steroids for 6 weeks which got rid of it but it came back once it was finished. ive had a cat scan and it came back perfect - but i dont think the cat scan went up high enough.

its getting to the stage where the pain is so bad i cant sleep. its there pretty much all the time, a little bit but when i eat its really severe where i need to bend over and push in where the pain is and hold my breath. i feel nauseous, i feel bloated when its really bad. when the pain gets quite severe it goes around my right ribcage and into the top/middle of my back

i went to my crohns doc on wednesday and he says its definitely not my stomach, that it might be ibs but he also wants to rule out gallstones and pancreatitis. ive looked up gallstones before but never thought of pancreatitis and the symptoms are similar to what i have

i guess im just wondering if anyone else out there has gone through something similar to this, or has been diagnosed with pancreatitis or gallstones, so they can let me know what their pain was like
    or is there anyone out there with ibs and crohns? i didnt know you could get both... i thought it was one or the other.

thanks guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
    Sharon76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sharon76 HB User
    Re: IBS and Crohns or Pancreatitis????

Hi Irishgal

Upper pain between the rib cages (sterum) can also be colitis. This is the usual place for pain with colitis and also it causes constipation.

Also the pain could be coming from the large again this causes pain in the upper area and down the right side. but remember that with crohn's the pain is generally around the right side and goes in the back.

The reason why you are in pain when you move m ay be because your bowel is inflammed or narrowed.

I have crohn's and my pain is always down the right side but lower down. Also i suffer from constipation when my small bowel becomes narrow and an obstruction occurs.

I am waiting to have surgery down very soon as my small bowel has narrowed.

have you had a barium meal done?? this will show up any narrowing in the bowel.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
    Irishgal
    (female)

Irishgal HB User

thanks for your message
    where i have my crohns and where i have my pain are very far apart, and my crohns is fine at the mo so i know its nothing to do with that. am having a barium on thursday so have a gander and see whats going on

good luck with your surgery

Old 07-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
    Sharon76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hopefully the barium will show something up and put an end to the pain.

Where do you have crohn's?

Closed Thread