It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Husband is having colon resection QUESTIONS??????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
    dan-girls
    (female)

dan-girls HB User
    Husband is having colon resection QUESTIONS??????

hi, MY HUSBAND SUFFERS FROM DIVERTICULITIS HAVING ATTACKS THE LAST 10 YEARS. THEN 3 MONTHS AGO CAME DOWN WITH ANOTHER ATTACK, TWO MRI AND COLONSCOPY. THEN WHEN THE MEDS DIDN'T WORK, ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 5 DAYS ON IV. MY HUSBAND IS 45 AND IN IN WORDS GOOD HEALTH. THE DOCTOR IS HOPING TO DO IT LAPORSCOPIC. NOT OPEN. NEED ADVICE FOR BEFORE DURING AND AFTER THE OPERATION?

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
    mom&teacher
    (female)

mom&teacher HB User
    Re: Husband is having colon resection QUESTIONS??????

Hello, I hope you get some responses here. My husband was diagnosed with diverticulits in March. (age 42) He was hospitalized for 5 days on IV antibiotics, then rehospitalized from an abcess related to the diverticultis for another 5 days. Then he developed a DVT at the IV site and was in for another 7 days. He's been home and feeling ok on coumidan. However, He has had 2 flare-ups of the diverticulitis--one in May and one in July. He had a colonoscopy in late may and they could see where the infection had occured (apparently a 12" section). He has an appt with our family Dr. next Fri and one with his gastro the following week. The nurse at the gastro office said he may have to consider/discuss surgery with him. Needless to say, I am a bit anxious about all of this. I would appreciate any experiences. Thank you.
    RA

Last edited by mom&teacher; 07-20-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
    dan-girls
    (female)

dan-girls HB User

HI, My husband is 45 and just had colon resection done today. Needless to say the operation went great. The doctor has to take out a 6 ich section of the segmoid colon, reconnect the colon and put him back together. The surgeon was excited and went very smoothly. My husband and I were also very nervous. But with his history the operation was necessary. The prep before the operation is tough. My husband is in alot of pain, but that is to be expected. The outcome is very good. I will post more in the next couple of days. Good Luck

Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
    mom&teacher
    (female)

mom&teacher HB User

Hello dan-girls, I'm glad to see your husbands surgery went so well. Were they able to do it laproscopic? How long is he expected to be in the hospital? And what is his recovery time likely to be? My husband goes to his gastro dr. next week. His regular doc says it's pretty likely he'll need surgery. We are hoping he is able to put it off until winter.
    Please keep us posted on his progress and thank you for any answers to my many questions.
    Rhonda

Old 07-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
    dan-girls
    (female)

dan-girls HB User
    Smile Re: Husband is having colon resection QUESTIONS??????

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mom&teacher View Post
    Hello dan-girls, I'm glad to see your husbands surgery went so well. Were they able to do it laproscopic? How long is he expected to be in the hospital? And what is his recovery time likely to be? My husband goes to his gastro dr. next week. His regular doc says it's pretty likely he'll need surgery. We are hoping he is able to put it off until winter.
    Please keep us posted on his progress and thank you for any answers to my many questions.
    Rhonda
    HI Rhonda, My husband had one area cut. I don't think it was laproscopic. The cut is from just below his belly buttom down. He should be out of the hospital today or tommorow. He will probably be out 4-6 weeks. The first couple of days after the operation are bad. I am not going to lie to you. There is a lot of pain and gas. When you husband goes in his appointment, ask a lot of questions. The doctors want to do the operation when everything is nice and quiet. My husband came out of the hospital with a low fiber diet and antibotics before the operation. That is because they want the inflamation and the infection to be under control. Let me know how your husbands appointment goes?
    Debbie

Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
    mom&teacher
    (female)

mom&teacher HB User

Hello Debbie,
    Thank you so much for the info. I appreciate your honesty. Was your husband able to come home today? I hope his recuperation is going well.

Jim's appt is for Thursday at 7:00 PM. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Rhonda

Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
    peacefrog
    (female)

peacefrog HB User

I'm 46 and had 6 inches of colon removed in Oct. and dr. wasn't able to put it back together. I had a temp. colostomy for 3 months, then everything was healthy enough to reconnect, tho it took 5 hours in the OR to do it. After two abdominal surgeries in 4 months...I'm a little jealous of your hubby. My incisions went from navel to pubic bone, and the incision for the ostomy, and a small one for the drain. I had an NG tube for days, a foley, and the IV site infilterated every 2 days. One night it took 5 nurses 12 stabs to get one started (they were going to put one in my foot!) I'm disheartened to hear that your husband is still having bouts after the procedure. I wish him the best!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-31-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
    dan-girls
    (female)

dan-girls HB User

Hi Rhonda, Dan came home on Sunday. Everyday is alittle better for him. He still is in alittle pain. But hopefully everything will be great in a few months. Keep me posted on your husband's condition?

Debbie

Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
    mad1517
    (female)

mad1517 HB User

Hi, my name is Colleen. My husband had laporascopic surgery on July 5 to remove 12 inches of his sigmoid colon. He has suffered with bouts of diverticulitis for about 9 years. Each episode was worse than the previous. So we finally decided to do the surgery. I was amazed that it could be done laporscopically. The surgery went very well. The doctor gave him an epidural which helped tremendously with the pain. One of the drugs in the epidural had a numbing effect which worked great. He still had some pain when moving around and getting out of bed, but it was bearable with the epidural. If anyone is having this surgery I would highly recommend the epidural. Ask the doctor BEFORE you have the surgery. Amazingly as it seems, my husband has had such a great recovery that he even returned to work 3 1/2 weeks after surgery and he does not have a sit down job! Hope this helps anyone. It is very scarey having surgery, but keeping positive thinking and prayer has helped us deal with this. Good luck on your husbands recovery. It gets better each day!!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
    mom&teacher
    (female)

mom&teacher HB User

Hello Colleen and Debbie,
    Our appt. with the gastro went well. He does not need immediate surgery. He does have diverticulosis through the entire colon, which apparently is rather unusual. There is one section of it that tends to get infected. Dr. suggested that we have a surgical consult. He said there are excellent surgeons in our area, but in the Cleveland hospitals they are able to do the procedure laproscopically (sp?). He will arrange to schedule that appt. once I'm sure where my insurance will cover. (there is a possible change soon.)

He has been fine for about a month, but he is under the stress of worrying about when another attack will occur. His drs. understand this and want him to feel comfortable with a sugeon, in case surgery is needed. He prescribed antibiotics to keep on hand so they can be started right away. They will monitor any other attacks and probably do an MRI or scan of some kind to pinpoint the diverticulitis. He is still on coumidin (sp?), till at least the end of Sept.

Overall, we feel very comfortable with this plan. (He felt the nurse he talked to earlier was ready to book the ER for him next week!) In the mean time, I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about the digestive system.

I hope both of your husbands continue their good recovery.
    Rhonda

Closed Thread