It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Crohns/Colitits symptoms due to allergens?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
    jbar47
    (male)

jbar47 HB User
    Crohns/Colitits symptoms due to allergens?

Has anyone heard of allergens causing Crohns/Colitis type symptoms, where if you remove the allergen(s) the symptoms dissipate or completely go away?
    I'm wondering because I first starting having some perianal problems in Dec.
    '05 while housesitting for a friend who has a dog. Then in March '06 - while recovering from a fissure cauterization procedure - we welcomed two young rottweilers into our family. They shed a lot, especially in the warmer months, and we constantly have to vacuum up the hair. Anyway, I have had more fissures and also fistulae since then.

I know this might seem outlandish to wonder if there's any connection, but I really have few, if any, other symptoms of Crohns/Colitis except the perianal issues and some mild proctitis. As a matter of fact, I would say that aside from those issues, I have been as healthy as I can ever recall being since my teens. Also, this is the first time in my life when I've lived in a house where dogs are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Crohns/Colitits symptoms due to allergens?

Hi...I would think that any autoimmune disease that one has would/could be exacerbated by allergies if it puts enough distress on the body.

Have you tried taking any antihistamines or even using a type of antileukotrine such as Singulair?

What meds are you taking for Crohn's Colitis? Are you using any rectal meds such as a retention enema? That should help with the inflammation.

Have you considered Remicade or any of the immunosuppressant meds?

I would also think the stress of having and training a dog of any kind would be stressful..let alone two.

quincy

Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
    jbar47
    (male)

jbar47 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Hi...I would think that any autoimmune disease that one has would/could be exacerbated by allergies if it puts enough distress on the body.

Have you tried taking any antihistamines or even using a type of antileukotrine such as Singulair?

What meds are you taking for Crohn's Colitis? Are you using any rectal meds such as a retention enema? That should help with the inflammation.

Have you considered Remicade or any of the immunosuppressant meds?

I would also think the stress of having and training a dog of any kind would be stressful..let alone two.

quincy

Right now I take Pentasa, which really is not doing much for me because my problem is on the outside. I am also taking cipro and flagyl because they have worked well in the past when the fissures/fistulae get irritated.

My doctor wants to prescribe Remicade but I am leery of it, what with all the potential side effects. Also, I don't see him until mid-August and I am quitting my job in September, so I am afraid to go for only one Remicade infusion, since a lot of people who only got one said they had a return of symptoms - sometimes worse - within a year. My problem is that I don't know if I can get it paid for under COBRA.

I am thinking of calling the doc and telling him I want an infusion right away, so that I can get a follow-up infusion before Aug. 30. I don't want it at all, but the idea of suffering with this much longer is not a good thought, and I have heard of people having really good (and fast) results with 2 or more Remicade infusions.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I hope it works for you and gets you feeling better soon.

I have a friend with fistulising Crohn's....when she flares, she does have to have Remicade. She also gets Methotrexate weekly and just before the infusion she gets a steroid shot.

Let us know how it goes.

quincy

Closed Thread