It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Could it be Crohn’s Diseases, Colitis or something much worse?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
    mzsuri
    (female)

mzsuri HB User
    Unhappy Could it be Crohn’s Diseases, Colitis or something much worse?

I am 28 years old and seem to have a great deal of intestinal problems. About five years ago I was diagnosed with gastritis. Three years ago I was diagnosed with a back flow of bile in the stomach and seem to suffer from indigestion on a daily bases. Over the past few years I seem to have developed problems with my lower intestinal track. I noticed about two years ago I had a sharp pain in my lower left pelvic/abdominal area. Sometimes the pain would last for 2 hour and other times up to 16 hours. The pain would come and go. Sometimes I can go weeks without any symptoms and other times I have pain for days and sometimes weeks. My Dr suspected it was female related so I had an ultrasound of my ovaries, the test came back negative. I also had a smear test done to make sure there were no traces of blood in my bowels that also came back negative. Within the mean time I noticed that I can go days without having a bowel movement. When I do have a bowel movement I pass a lot of stool, but I don’t always feel like my bowels are cleaned out. I still feel the desire to go several more times. I also have extreme gas pains and sometimes feel sick to my stomach. Along with these symptoms comes extreme tiredness to the point I fall asleep at work along with having mood swings and being cold all the time. I have tried to pinpoint what is causing my symptoms. At first I thought it could be a result of being lactose intolerant but I take medicine so I can have diary. The pills seem to be helping; I have been taking them for years without any problems. I have tried changing my diet and ruling out foods that may cause irritation to my stomach and bowels. Yesterday I went to the gastroenterologist. I was very disappointed because I didn’t feel like he listened to what I was telling him, he was in a big hurry. He told me to eat nectivia and to have more fiber in my diet. I have to see him again in two months. If the fiber doesn’t help to regulate my bowels then he is testing me for Colitis and Crohn’s Disease. YIKES! I’m afraid of finding out that my symptoms are the signs of a terrible disease. I wish my Dr would step up to the plate more and help. Often times I feel like my symptoms are being overlooked because I’m so young. The worst part is no one had given me a blood test to check on my cell out. I’m surprised that my Dr hasn’t suggested one, it would help provide better insight to what is going on in my body. The way I feel has affected my entire life and I’m tied of feeling this way.

Has anyone else ever experienced these kind of symptoms? I know what I described mimics many things but I’m just trying to rule out Crohn’s Disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
    crohns
    (male)

crohns HB User
    Wink Re: Could it be Crohn’s Diseases, Colitis or something much worse?

Hi,

I hope I can be of assistance. First, let me say that I find Doctors the most annoying non-listeners in the world. Since insurance companies pay them very little to listen to your problems they pay little attention if your problem is even slightly complex. I have had IBS for many years and have been seeing a gastro since the age of 30 which was 35years ago...periodic colonoscopies and endoscopies were all fine and continue to be fine. In April 2007 I started having funny pains on the lower left which can along with some bloating, very little cramping [if any] and incrase periods of loose stools. My doctor had also said, eat fiber! and of course that always included salads and veggies. When these new sensations turned into little pains I had two CAT scans done. The CAT scans showed inflamed intestines, both small and large. I was put on Flagyl and Cipro antibiotics and sent home from the hospital after a six hour stay. Two weeks later my stools were rather terrible, no blood but dark, smelly, watery, with an odd greenish floating part. My gastro sent me for a stool culture abd sure enough it was an advanced C-Diff infection. Immediately off the CIPRO! On flagyl for 3 weeks until it cleared up! A colonoscopy showed nothing! until the gastro decided to enter the small intestine, which is normally not done since the probe is larger then the intestine. Sure enough he found Crohns. What to do?
    1. NO FIBEROUS FOODS, NO SALAD, NO WHOLE GRAINS, NO DAIRY.......
    2. LOTS OF SOFT MUSH FOODS
    3. LOTS OF FLUIDS WITHOUT ANY ACID! NO JUICE, NO CARBONATED DRINKS
    4. NO FATS [PURE HELL FOR A STEAK AND POTATO MAN!]
    5. ANYTHING THAT CAN PRODUCE SOFT BULK SUCH AS METAMUCIL [DO NOT OVERDO OR ELSE BLOCKAGES CAN HAPPEN]
    6. NO ANTIBIOTICS UNLESS REALLY NEEDED. NO MORE DOCTORS SAYING LETS PUT YOU ON [email protected]#$%^ AS A PRECAUTION.
    Since changing my diet I have been much more normal. I am trying to stop the Prilosec/Nexium addiction that the gastro gave me over the past 20 years. Very hard to do since the GI system linings have become used to no acid! The acid is required for good nutrition absorbion!

I hope you can locate a gastro who listens, performs the correct tests, and is a good diagnostician. Rare and far between but worth a million!

Good Luck

Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
    xochar23
    (female)

xochar23 HB User
    Re: Could it be Crohn’s Diseases, Colitis or something much worse?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzsuri View Post
    I am 28 years old and seem to have a great deal of intestinal problems. About five years ago I was diagnosed with gastritis. Three years ago I was diagnosed with a back flow of bile in the stomach and seem to suffer from indigestion on a daily bases. Over the past few years I seem to have developed problems with my lower intestinal track. I noticed about two years ago I had a sharp pain in my lower left pelvic/abdominal area. Sometimes the pain would last for 2 hour and other times up to 16 hours. The pain would come and go. Sometimes I can go weeks without any symptoms and other times I have pain for days and sometimes weeks. My Dr suspected it was female related so I had an ultrasound of my ovaries, the test came back negative. I also had a smear test done to make sure there were no traces of blood in my bowels that also came back negative. Within the mean time I noticed that I can go days without having a bowel movement. When I do have a bowel movement I pass a lot of stool, but I don’t always feel like my bowels are cleaned out. I still feel the desire to go several more times. I also have extreme gas pains and sometimes feel sick to my stomach. Along with these symptoms comes extreme tiredness to the point I fall asleep at work along with having mood swings and being cold all the time. I have tried to pinpoint what is causing my symptoms. At first I thought it could be a result of being lactose intolerant but I take medicine so I can have diary. The pills seem to be helping; I have been taking them for years without any problems. I have tried changing my diet and ruling out foods that may cause irritation to my stomach and bowels. Yesterday I went to the gastroenterologist. I was very disappointed because I didn’t feel like he listened to what I was telling him, he was in a big hurry. He told me to eat nectivia and to have more fiber in my diet. I have to see him again in two months. If the fiber doesn’t help to regulate my bowels then he is testing me for Colitis and Crohn’s Disease. YIKES! I’m afraid of finding out that my symptoms are the signs of a terrible disease. I wish my Dr would step up to the plate more and help. Often times I feel like my symptoms are being overlooked because I’m so young. The worst part is no one had given me a blood test to check on my cell out. I’m surprised that my Dr hasn’t suggested one, it would help provide better insight to what is going on in my body. The way I feel has affected my entire life and I’m tied of feeling this way.

Has anyone else ever experienced these kind of symptoms? I know what I described mimics many things but I’m just trying to rule out Crohn’s Disease.

mzsuri- what you described is exactly what i have been experincing for the past 5 years.. except since the beginning of this year is when it has progressed to the point where i can not eat a normal diet without "indigestion" supposedly the bile backing up into my stomach...
    we are both so young.. i am only 17... and i am just so desperate to figure out what is wrong with me and to FIX it!! when i read your post, it was as if i wrote it.. please if you find anything about your condition, let me know!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
    candykiss
    (female)

candykiss HB User

Crohns and Colitis can be ruled out or diagnosed by a colonscopy / endoscopy there are no other ways to find out without them having a good look. If you have Colitis then changing your diet will not make a difference i'm afraid if you have a flare-up anything that passes through the effected area will irritate the bowel.
    Go back to your GP and try rush the next appt or request an earlier one sometimes they can do it. It took 7 months before i was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and i was only 18 when the symptons started. I have seriously had to change my lifestyle, but i'm coping! Good luck

Old 03-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
    millie123
    (female)

millie123 HB User

i have exacly the same symptoms where as im only 15! ive had them for about a year and a bit now and all blood tests point to chrons disease they did a colonoscopy and saw inflammation but biopsies said nothing? waiting to have pill camera capsule test in about two week! hope you ok! let me no if you find anything out.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
    fairyfloss
    (female)

fairyfloss HB User

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease when i was 15, and have been very ill periodically. Sure, it's a horrible disease that i wish upon no-one and when I'm sick I hate life and myself and my stomach. But there are different levels to it as well! I personally have improved a lot by excluding dairy and wheat from my diet. It complicates things, but it's possible (and worth it!!). It IS possible to enjoy life even with a chronic illness. You don't have to BE your illness.
    I hope it's not "something worse" and that you find some answers soon!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
    amberwalsch
    (female)

amberwalsch HB User

Hey there Chrons-
    Don't want to piggy back on mzsuri but I have a quick question for you after reading your post. How did they see into your small intestine with a colonoscopy to find Chrons? I thought a colonoscopy couldn't go that far? Or how did they diagnose your Chrons?

Dr. told me that he couldn't see that part with the colonoscopy, and he suspects Chrons so I now have to do a barium swallow.

Thanks!

Closed Thread