It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Crohns disease or IBS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2003, 06:49 AM   #1
    ter123

ter123 HB User
    Post Crohns disease or IBS

Recently I had a cat scan and my doctor said the results are highly suggestive that I have crohns disease. He wants me to have a GI series done now to confirm. I have been experiencing bouts of severe stomach pains on and off for a couple of years. I cant imagine labor pains could be any worse. I do not have diarrhea often which my doctor says is a symptom of crohns. I have pain during and after intercourse which I am not sure is related to the stomach issues or something female. I go to the GYN the beginning of April. Does anyone have Crohns that could share with me your symptoms and experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2003, 03:37 PM   #2
    andyM

andyM HB User
    What about the CAT scan made him suspect this? I didnt think you could detect chrohn's from a CAT scan? I know there are some blood tests that can be indicative.

I'd be curious to hear more about this. I always wanted to make sure I didnt have Chrohn's. I had a CAT scan too and blood work, and I dont have diarrhea, just abdominal pain...and my doc said he was sure it wasnt chrohns?

Old 03-22-2003, 09:12 AM   #3
    lno
    (female)

lno HB User
    I would like to know how Crohns is diagnosed. I've had all the tests from MRI,CT,Barium enema, blood & stool cultures. I do have diahrrea, after eating & upon rising in the a.m. I was tagged w/IBS. Can't take antispasmodics due to side effects. Immodium is my only relief. I eat yogurt, take Metemucil & plan to try a probiotic. My quesiton is did I have enough testing done to determine IF I do have Crohns? Does the average MD look for such a disease or are they concerned w/bacteria/etc?? Any input appreciated. Thanks and GOD BLESS AMERICA

Old 03-24-2003, 07:43 AM   #4
    chriscwharris
    (male)

chriscwharris HB User
    Interesting topic, my GP told me he thinks I have IBS to go along with the anxiety problems I've had on and off the last year. I've had abdominal cramping and pain focused mainly on my left side.

Initially the docs thought I had a kidney stone as I had trace blood in my urine. I had an x-ray that showed some build up on the right side and 3 small "irregularities" on the left.

I was pretty happy to accept that it could be IBS until today when I went to the toilet and there was some blood and mucus in there. I didn't go much, but it was very loose.

Of course I'm now panicing it could be IBD, Crohns or ulcerative colitis or something.

What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    taking it one day at a time...

Old 03-24-2003, 08:37 AM   #5
    ter123

ter123 HB User
    I don't know what my doctor saw in the Cat scan that suggested IBS. I will be sure to ask. Now I have to have a small bowel study to confirm. He doesnt want to start treating me for IBS unless he is sure.

Old 03-24-2003, 08:39 AM   #6
    ter123

ter123 HB User
    Chris,
    What tests did you have done to make your doctor think that you have IBS? I dont know what blood in the stool could be.

Old 03-28-2003, 06:27 PM   #7
    Ladybug214

Ladybug214 HB User
    Wink

Hi! I have Crohns Disease. I have had it for 11 years now. It took Docs a year to find that I had the disease. I had my appendix out and that is when they found the Crohns. I have to have routine a Colonoscopy each year to see how much of the intestine is affected by the disease. You may want to ask your doc if he thinks you need a colonoscopy. This is the only way they are able to see inside the intestine. My Crohns is located in the small bowel and usually reacts well to medication. I had been in remission for 5 years until a year ago. I have had a really bad flair-up these past two weeks and none of the meds have worked. Good luck with your tests and if you would like any other information on Crohns try the Crohns & Colitis Foundation's Web site. They offer some really good advise and can help keep you updated on the new trial meds and procedures for Crohns and IBS. Hang in there and best of luck.

Old 03-29-2003, 09:50 AM   #8
    lno
    (female)

lno HB User
    Hey Ladybug, could you please give the [url="http://www.for"]www.for[/url] the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation? I tried pulling up several different combos & got nothing. This sounds like a site I'd like to see. Thanks for your help & good luck to you in your quest.

Old 03-30-2003, 11:47 AM   #9
    kat721
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kat721 HB User
    Post>>> I have pain during and after intercourse which I am not sure is related to the stomach issues or something female. I go to the GYN the beginning of April. Does anyone have Crohns that could share with me your symptoms and experiences? <<<

I don't have Crohns but I have IBS and a metabolic dysfunction that includes IBS in it's many symptoms.
    When I had symptoms similar to yours I started out with a Gynecologist.
    I went throgh 3 of them and an emergency room visit inbetween before I could get anyone to go inside with a Laproscope and check out my pelvic condition.
    I had massive adhesions and enodmetriosis binding my colon to my ovary and musculature of the pelvic girdle.
    My colon had to be spearated from both the ovary and the muscle wall and 20 days after that surgery my colon simply stopped working and I had energency surgery to remove an impaction.
    a few months later, after seeing still another gynecologist and another gastroenterologist about my unresolved pain, I finally figured out that I might need a Reproductive Endocrinologist to tend my mystery illness.
    The Reproductive Endocrinologist did a third surgery and found my colon all bound up again with the pelvic muscle. More adhesions and more endocetriosis.
    So that was january and I'm doing better in the colon department but I stay on daily IBS medication because after all of that the bowel still remains irritable and if I don't tend my gut from a nutritional life style perspective then I'd probably be back in the hospital with another shut down.
    The problem I have is a metabolic endocrine problem.
    It is linked to IBS and in some way to autoimmune diseases but they are not sure why as yet.
    I was told by my endocrinologist that 95% of the women he treats with the metabolic problem have IBS and that a large percentage go on to eventually manifest an autoimmune disorder but they have not seen a pattern of
    any one disorder over another. They just fall into the same general category of one of the problems where the body attacks itself.
    I would guess that maybe a Reproductive Endocrinologist could point you in the right direction as to which specialty might help you the most.
    kat

Old 03-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #10
    kat721
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kat721 HB User
    Post>>What tests did you have done to make your doctor think that you have IBS? I dont know what blood in the stool could be.<<<

As it was explained to me, there are no tests for IBS.
    IBS is a Syndrome, which means it is diagnosed with a series of symptoms that fit a particular criteria.
    Specifically that would be the "Rome Criteria" for IBS. The Rome Criteria is the decisions that Doctors make after getting together to set criteria for Syndromes and diseases.
    It then becomes the measuring standard.
    Chroons is an Irritable Bowel Disease which means something else and I think the definitive difference is that with Chrons you have inflammation of the internal colon, which could be seen with a colonoscopy.
    And with IBS there is no inflammation or physical abnormality to the internal gut.
    So by virture of normalcy with in the gut, is one of the ways they decide if one has IBS or IBD.
    Blood in the stool can mean a whole lot of things.
    Always best to get the Gastroenterologist to do a colon scope on that one. But a lot of times blood in the stool or even gushing out the rectum turns out to be hemorroids in one of their forms.
    Internal hemorroids(the kind you can't see,) can become quite the bloody problem.
    Good luck with finding the source of your problems.
    Hope they find ressolve soon.
    kat

Old 04-06-2003, 11:03 AM   #11
    Ladybug214

Ladybug214 HB User
    Smile

The site for the Crohns & Colitus foundation is [url="http://www.ccfa.org"]www.ccfa.org[/url] I hope this helps. I had to go back to the doc last Thursday and he thinks my crohns has infected more of my intestine that we thought. I go on two strict weeks of antibiotic...I cant get rid of a fever (100.2) then we are gonna look into Remicade. Has anyone tried this therapy? If so any insite would be great. I can tell you that if you have IBS or Crohns on of the best things to do is to get a GREAT doctor. It makes all the difference. My best to all, may your pain be less!

Old 04-07-2003, 06:40 PM   #12
    ter123

ter123 HB User
    My doctor has confirmed that I have Crohns disease. He has prescribed 2400mg a day of Asacol. So far the drug has made me feel disoriented, weak and no appetite. I guess my body has to get used to it. Kat, thanks for the website regarding Crohns. I am also having what I think is female pain but now I'm not sure if its related to the Crohns or not.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:27 AM   #13
    ter123

ter123 HB User
    Kat,
    Please let me know the results of your GYN visit. I also have an GYn appt on the 16th for pain during and after sex. I dont know if its related to Crohns or not.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:27 AM   #14
    ter123

ter123 HB User
    Kat,
    Please let me know the results of your GYN visit. I also have an GYn appt on the 16th for pain during and after sex. I dont know if its related to Crohns or not.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:21 AM   #15
    andyM

andyM HB User
    ter123

Did your doctor ever tell you what he saw in the CAT scan that made him suspect Chrohn's? And can you tell me more specifically what your symptoms are in detail? Thanks. I also do NOT have diarrhea, and want to compare notes. I had a CAT scan, but doctor didnt think I had Chrohn's. Just want to make sure I am being as thorough as possible.

Thanks!

Closed Thread