It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• First signs and symptoms of crohn's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #16
    cinci32andi95
    (female)

cinci32andi95 HB User
    Re: First signs and symptoms of crohn's

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gardenandcats View Post
    I would say its time to have a scope done and find out for sure what you have..Are you seeing a gastrologist? They can also do a blood test called a prometheus blood test that can show markers in your blood that help determine if its crohn's ask about that. I have had crohn's for over 40 years..3 bowel resections. so far..
    Thanks! I'll ask my GI about the blood test, I have never heard of it. What's bowel resections?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
    sooty234
    (female)

sooty234 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinci32andi95 View Post
    My GI doctor diagnosed me with IBS then Functional Dyspepsia. He said that if I don't see any change, and my bowels keep acting the way they are, he will do the test and check for Crohn's. I really don't want to have to get to that point, but I'm so tired of nothing working. I feel like my meds are really not doing anything. The only change that I see in me is that I'm getting use to my symptoms Right now, sitting at my computed in pain and horrible nausea, and really wish it would stop.
    I would say what the other lady said., it is time to get some answers it is a short test and i was always put out for it., at least you will know for sure.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
    cinci32andi95
    (female)

cinci32andi95 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sooty234 View Post
    I would say what the other lady said., it is time to get some answers it is a short test and i was always put out for it., at least you will know for sure.
    Thanks, maybe I will convince my doctor next time I see him.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #19
    TravisAK
    (male)

TravisAK HB User

Hi, I had Crohn's for about 10 years before i decided to see a doctor. I will admit that i believe i have a relatively mild case, but still no fun. Basically, I just had annoying diarrhea for 10 years that would last about a month then go into remission for a week or two. I saw a doctor finally when it lasted a few months with no relief. I never had pain or blood. After seeing a doctor I was in complete remission on pentasa alone until about a year ago when I went on antibiotics for bronchitis. It got much worse very quickly after going on the antibiotics. Also, I believe that stress can play a huge role. It's a vicious cycle when you get a flare, which stresses you out which makes the flare worse and on and on. I eventually had to go on prednisone (devil drug) which put me right back into remission but has taken me nearly a year to taper off of. I started at 60 mg and am now down to 6 mg and hope to be off of it soon. (it makes you crazy). I also recently started Remicade for Ankylosing Spondylitis which should help the crohn's as well, but I have seen no change yet in either condition. (just had fourth infusion). So basically my advice would be to avoid antibiotics, eat lots of yogurt, learn to meditate for stress (sounds silly, but helped me) and exercise. My crohn's definitely got worse when I went to college and quit skiing (i was a ski racer) on a regular basis. Also, look int the SCD diet and Low Dose Naltrexone. They may not work for you, but they are at least worth a shot before moving onto something like prednisone. My doctor has several patients on Low dose naltrexone who are doing much better since starting it. I am the one who told him about it, but could not use it myself (yet) since i need narcotic pain medication for my A.S. (LDN and narcotics are incompatible) Hopefully, the remicade will allow me to get off of the narcotics which will allow me to start LDN which will get me off of the remicade. There is some real science emerging about the benefits of LDN. Also..........GET A SECOND OPINION!! Crohn's medication is VERY expensive (my remicade is about 22k a year) and if you think your doctor isn't getting a cut, you're crazy.

Closed Thread