It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

UC flare and breastfeeding

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
el_9_el
(female)

el_9_el HB User
UC flare and breastfeeding

Hi guys,
I'm mum to a little 4 month baby and am having my most severe ulcerative colitis flare so far. I'm finding it really hard to look after my little boy when I need to use the toilet 20-30 times a day. The poor thing has had a number of feeds perched in my arms over a smelly loo.
I'm taking mezalazine and started 25mg of prednisolone 4 days ago, but I don't feel like I'm getting any better. I'm worried about all the medication I'm on and what it will do for my baby while I breastfeed but at the same time, I really want to keep up the breastfeeding because it's supposed to minimize the chances of him inheriting this.
Is 4 days enough to expect to see some improvements with 25mg? I've only taken steroids once before and on 30mg I felt some improvement in only 12 hours - I was really hoping this would be the same. How much higher can I go without it having bad effects on my baby?
It's really frustrating because my bub has learnt to sleep really well at night but it's irrelevant to me because I'm still getting up for the toilet. I feel pretty rotten, malnourished and tired. I hope my baby is still getting what he needs from me.
Any stories or advice on breastfeeding or having a little one while also having a flare would be appreciated!
It's hard!
Cheers,
El

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread