It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Possible ulcerative colitis or proctitis... not sure if I should see GI doctor

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
ilovemydaisy66
(female)

ilovemydaisy66 HB User
Possible ulcerative colitis or proctitis... not sure if I should see GI doctor

So I went to my regular doctor because for the last couple of months I've been having to go #2 like 2-4 times a day (not diarrhea) which is not normal for a 20 year old female like me. I'll occasionally have mucous and what really worried me is that I had blood like mixed in (not when wiping...sorry TMI), but that only happened one time about a month ago. I have a lot of bloating sometimes, which can be painful. Anyway, she had me do a blood test and stool sample which both came back perfectly normal. Does this sound like ulcerative colitis or proctitis? My symptoms seem pretty mild from what I've read about UC, so I don't know if it's worth seeing the gastroenterologist for...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
Re: Possible ulcerative colitis or proctitis...not sure if I should see GI doctor

Daisy...I would be somewhat comforted by the tests results being "normal". However, if it would ease your mind, perhaps discuss scheduling a colonoscopy if you've not had one. I think you'll be fine, but your anxiety with this issue doesn't need to continue=)

Old 03-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
osama82
(male)

osama82 HB User
Re: Possible ulcerative colitis or proctitis... not sure if I should see GI doctor

Most certainly you should go and see a good Gastro doc. My recommendation would be to contact the local chapter of the Crohn's /Colitis support group and get a recommendation from them. It is important that your gastro specializes in treating such a disease. So a conclusive diagnosis can be reached.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Possible ulcerative colitis or proctitis... not sure if I should see GI doctor

Hi...blood tests and stool samples done initially by your GP are a good idea to make sure nothing obvious (such as infection) is going on.

Your symptoms could initially fit into the criteria of inflammatory bowel disease, but the only way one will know is for your doctor to refer you to a Gastroenterologist. He/she should then put you through testing series of elimination, which would include a possible initial look-see with a rectoscope, maybe some swab testing done and probably more stool samples.

I encourage to push for a colonoscopy with biopsies rather than only a sigmoidoscopy (limited only as far as past the sigmoid and maybe to the transverse). You need to know what's going on throughout your full colon since there can be some inflammation above where a sig-scope can venture.

It takes time for the process....and while it's possible you have an IBD, there are possibilities for it to be something else where symptoms can be the same.

Hang tough....do the research for proper testing.
DO the c-scope first (my GP at the time had me do a barium enema...which didn't even show the 15 inches of bleeding/inflammation from rectum to sigmoid....that was a waste of my time, let alone an undignified test to start).

Ask questions here, formulate your own for your appointments and make sure you get copies of any testing results you've had done to this point (which includes the recent bloods and stool) for your research and knowledge base.

Let us know what's happening for sure.

q

Closed Thread