It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Does this sound like IBS, IBD or UC?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
gek-0
(female)

gek-0 HB User
Does this sound like IBS, IBD or UC?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated...

I am a 26 year old woman who has been constipated my entire life to the point that I was placed on Milk of Magnesia as a child to ease my anal tearing. As an adult, I am very used to not going to the bathroom often, sometimes once every 2 weeks. I have always had a dull ache in my lower abdomen, most predominately in the right side.

In January, I cut gluten out of my diet in order to lose weight. At that time, I weighed 253 pounds. I began losing weight but became sick and needed 3 rounds of antibiotics shortly after. At the beginning of April, everything changed and I started experiencing severe diarrhea upwards of 10 times a day. At this point, I stopped trying to lose weight but have inevitably kept dropping pounds. I was referred to a GI who put me back on gluten 2 weeks ago. I continue to lose weight and am currently 201 pounds.

The pain I'm experiencing is excruciating and my bloat is not pleasant. As of yesterday, I'm leaking blood from my bottom. When I pass wind, I leave a mist of blood. When I use the washroom, the water in the toilet turns pink. I am used to bleeding from tearing, but there is NO anal pain with this new bleeding. It's just there. The pain I feel right now is on the right side of my belly button. I went to the ER yesterday and my blood tests came back normal. I'm waiting on a date to have a scope performed. My eyes have also been wrecking havoc. They are so dry and painful that I'm becoming quite embarrassed about the amount of blinking I do and no, eye drops don't help.

My question to everyone is what you do or use to make the pain and bloating stop? Tylenol and Advil aren't doing anything and I'm at my wits end. I have no idea where to go from here.

Add: My grandmother had Crohn's and died from colon cancer and I have several cousins diagnosed with Celiac.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Does this sound like IBS, IBD or UC?

The only way you'd know is to have a referral to a gastroenterologist and get thoroughly checked out.

Have you taken a look to see if you have a fissure (not all hurt while having a bm). You could possibly have a hemorrhoid that's decided to bleed.

I'm curious what you do eat and drink on a daily basis...some foods can cause more gas and extreme discomfort. As well...what supplements do you take?

Are you regular with your periods? Sometimes hormonal changes can cause gastro issues.

Hang tough...it'll be a process for you to get it all sorted. It's good you're having a scope done...is that a colonoscopy? But you should first get in with your GP, ask for stool sample test kit, and ask the doc to take a look at your anus to see if you do have hemmies or a fissure that's bleeding.

Regarding your eyes...what drops have you been using? The weather pretty much everywhere has caused many problems for breathing, eyes, etc.
The other suggestion is to see an optometrist who will check out your eyes and see if anything else is going on.

q

Last edited by quincy; 06-29-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
gek-0
(female)

gek-0 HB User

Hi Quincy, my GI has checked for hemies and a fissure but can't see anything with her naked eye. I'm sure I have a fissure farther up my track somewhere because of the years of constipation and tearing. My periods are extremely irregular since the diarrhea has started. As for what I eat, I've cut back on certain fruits and veggies which have caused me to bloat previously, but my bloat seems to occur sporadically, even on an empty stomach. I do not eat refined sugar and try to stay away from processed foods. It feels like everything starts up while I'm sleeping and when I wake up in the morning, the pain and bloat are fierce. It then seems to lessen in the evening if I'm not in a state of "attack". As for supplements, I'm anemic and take a vitamin with iron every day. I was on iron pills for a while but I found those to be too constipating and previous to that, I received iron injections every two weeks.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
gek-0
(female)

gek-0 HB User

Add:

I've had over 10 stool samples since April and have been treated for parasites and c. diff, neither of which alleviated my symptoms. My optometrist noted that I've developed Presbyopia swelling, and dry eye and I have new glasses but my eyes have not improved.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...you have a lot of stuff to deal with at one time...and it's very difficult to get things sorted.

What meds are you on right now?

It's good you do have a GI...how long have you had her? It's good you're being set up for a c-scope. That should show if anything's going on. Hopefully she'll take biopsies throughout even if things look good visibly. One thing that it could be is Microscopic Colitis (either Lymphocytic or Collagenous).

Regarding your vision, meds can sometimes cause changes in vision. The other thing is possible autoimmune such as Sjogren's.

Do you have the results of all your blood tests? Has anything been out of whack regarding liver function tests? Sometimes that can lead to possible diagnosis.

Hope your c-scope is soon.

q

Closed Thread