It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Dairy role in colitis

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #1
whiskeythekid
(female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
Dairy role in colitis

I feel badly for all that are suffering from colitis. Pleae consider the complete elimination of dairy to cure yourself. Dairy elimination consists of milk, cheese, yogurt, whey, cassein. It is important to read labels because milk, whey, and cassein are in alot of surprising foods like bread, barbecue potato chips, cereal bars, granola bars, chocolate, and other things.

I have cured myself this way because colitis is entirely related to milk proteins. Butter has no effect for me and is fine to consume. This is because the milk proteins cause the problem, butter is comprised of fat and little to no milk proteins.

Many doctors will tell you that there is no relationship between diet and colitis. This may be true for some people who might have a bacteria imbalance in which case a probiotic will help or who have some other cause. However, diet is the cause for a good deal of people. besides my personal experience, you will find studies and doctor blogs who anecdotally discuss dairy's role and how dairy elimination can be a cure for some people.

I hope this helps someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
colitis mom
(female)

colitis mom HB User
Re: Dairy role in colitis

I agree completely - am grateful for your advice. My daughter was hospitalized with a dramatic flareup between Christmas and New Years. Eliminating the triggers - and milk is certainly one of them - brings enormous relief. Now to just figure out how to train a teenager to avoid the triggers completely.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
whiskeythekid
(female)

I have never had to be hospitalized but that is a big deal and should be enough of a motivator to make dietary changes.

I made the dairy connection because i was drinking a smoothy everyday for lunch and feeling worse and worse. On the days where I skipped the smoothie and replaced it with a meal from a local cuban restaurant - baked chicken, salad, beans/rice - i would feel fine.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
zoe305
(female)

zoe305 HB User

Hi both. Food intolerance does play a role in ulcerative colitis but as you said above, not for everyone. There are also other foods that cause issues other than dairy too. A dietician can find these out for you as they did for me. Even if lactose is not flagged as something you are intolerant to, when flaring, you need to eliminate it from your diet as much as possible together with any other rich foods.

Lactose isn't a major problem for me, fructose is though which has eliminated quite a few things from my diet such as apple, pear, mango, onion, wheat and need to keep corn to s minimum too. I also have issues with beans, legumes, chickpeas, lentils and even bean curd and tofu! Artificial sweeteners are also bad.

Some of these things the dietician found for me as they are tricky yo identify when your system has a build up of them. To find out what was causing the issues a strict elimination diet had to be implemented for a couple of months which was monitored by the dietician. I also did hydrogen breath testing too which flagged my bodies reaction to the fructose.

Hope that helps you both and anyone else who is in a similar situation. Just know dairy isn't necessarily everyone's intolerance there are many more and a dietician (particularly one specializing in inflammatory bowel disease) has the knowhow to find the culprits.

During a flare however, a very plain diet is needed and regardless of whether you are intolerant or not, dairy should be minimized as much as possible during this time together with any other rich or acidic foods.

Last edited by zoe305; 01-10-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

There's no cure for UC, and stopping milk or any foods won't cure it.
While food intake can have symptoms, one has to realise that they and UC are two different issue.

q

Old 01-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
whiskeythekid
(female)

i do not have colitis when i do not consume dairy. This thread is hopefully helpful to some.
There have been studies that shows this to be truly a cure for some people.

I should add that i had procto-colitis which only involves the last inch or two of the colon. This may be different than other types of colitis and it is not he same as chrohns.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
zoe305
(female)

zoe305 HB User

Hi quincy. Agreed! I am on daily medication including suppositories for the uc which is proctitis treated by a gastroenterologist and i see a dietician for my ibs / the food intolerances. I can tell which one is flaring (blood and or mucous it's colitis! ).

my partner has quite a lack of empathy so i need to leave him to believe that it is my colitis that acts up when i eat the wrong foods. Given it is a "disease" he can understand that better than it being ibs. He is very careful of what foods we buy and understanding when i alter recipes or ask for no onion etc when we order food. I used to be a vegetarian for years before i saw him but it did his head in because it was a choice, i had to give it up for him and eat meat. Ibs he does not understand either, just lucky i have colitis to pin my food intolerances on!

I think some other people are just like that as well, especially at the start of the disease. They can't tell what's ibs and whats colitis. They think food has cured it but it was just the ibs that stopped and colitis happens to be taking a break at the time too. I see people on here that are new to it who think their colitis is flaring even though a colonosopy has said they're in the clear for now, they doubt their doctors! These people need to see a dietician because they have ibs but don't realize it.

Anyway thats my rant. Quincy, hopefully you agree? Ibs is not taken seriously when there is a "disease" that causes similar symptoms. Sometimes people listen better if they think food intolerance is part of the "disease", if it means it gets them to a dietician then I'm happy. The dietician's explanation and diagnosis of ibs should then be accepted because they are a "professional".

Old 01-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I guess the first thing the OP should clarify is if he/she actually has UC or another type of colitis. IBS used to be called Mucus Colitis.

Food intolerances, allergies or just by the normal action of food itself can cause differences in one's digestion process/stool shapes, etc.

Diet is subjective....and I wouldn't consider eating many things that others consider comfort foods, bland foods, etc. Yes, I get gas from too much milk, writhing painful gas from bananas and oats. Do I eat them..on occasion, but would never consider certain things in the morning since I wouldn't want discomfort during the day.

Personally, many dieticians don't have a clue regarding specific issues unless they're willing to offer many options for a client/patient and are able to describe why someone would be having some symptoms, etc.

I've had many people ask me if I can eat certain foods or if I can't, but I've never blamed anything on my disease. If I'm flaring....just eating can cause butt spasming and possibly a dash to the bathroom, but the food itself has no bearing on that issue.

Your choice to eat meat is probably a better thing for your body than remaining strict in withholding it. Meat (and I mean all) contains nutrients for your body, is high protein...but you know all the benefits or you wouldn't have included it. Eggs are high on my diet..I have one or two every morning....depending on what time I get up and how long I'll be going without eating.

My symptoms at the start of a flare are very specific and minimal visually (my doc didn't believe me until recently...25 years later). While I have IBS, it's not debilitating. I do take an antispasmodic, probiotics and fibre supplements. I try to stay away from foods that cause excess gas, and yes...when I was first diagnosed I limited many foods because it would have been crazy to exacerbate loose stool, cramping or gas. Once my meds kicked in and symptoms started to wane, I increased my intake of varied foods.

Yes, I agree with you that IBS isn't taken seriously....but it isn't UC. It can happen in conjunction with UC or be more obvious while one is starting to flare or during healing. It takes a long time to differentiate food symptoms or IBS or UC symptoms.

In general, I don't care what people believe about what I have....it's unfortunate your partner has a lack of sympathy. One day, just ask him what part he doesn't get to clarify. Sometimes it's not what we might assume.

q

Last edited by quincy; 01-18-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Closed Thread