It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board

• Borderline sweat tests

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
    send_sun

send_sun HB User
    Question Borderline sweat tests

I hope ya'll don't mind me barging in ;-)

My daughter (3 in June) had a sweat test done about a month ago. She had it done because of numorous bouts of pneumonia in a year and inability to gain weight properly. That test came back borderline, so she had a second one done two weeks ago. The second one was done at a CF care center. That one also came back borderline. She had blood drawn on the 20th for genetic testing, just waiting for the results.

So, while going insane waiting for the results, I thought I would ask if anyone (or if anyone know's of anyone) who had two borderline results and what the genetic results were.

TIA!!

Jenna and Madi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Borderline sweat tests

Our son was born with a bowel obstruction due to meconium illeus, so they pretty much knew right away it was CF; however, they did two blood tests -- one after he was born and another at the hospital where he has surgery because they didn't think the genetic test was done prior to his being transferred. We had to wait about 5 days for the test results, which indicated CF. He also had a sweat test -- supposedly the gold standard to detect CF, but they have a tough time getting enough sweat from infants. That test came back normal.

Old 05-08-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
    NancyBales

NancyBales HB User

My son had 2 borderline sweat tests, 38/43. His genetic test came back negative. The doctor is treating him as CF anyway because of his recurrent pneumonias, sinus infections and colds. He is always sick. More often it seems then not. He doesn't look sick though. Always happy and never wants to miss school. He's 4, and was diagnosed this month.
    Have you got back the genetic test yet?

Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
    lovemyangel

lovemyangel HB User

My advice is, DO NOT walk away with a balloon on your wrist. I was told 5 years ago that my daughter did not have CF and I am just finding out that she has "atypical" gene mutations. If you do not go to a truly experienced and dedicated doctor you will be told "negative" over and over with no explanations for the symptoms that are present. Ask every question that you can possibly think of and do not walk away until you feel confident with the medical reasons causing the sysmptoms that started this to begin with. If they cannot prove that CF is there make them prove that it ISN'T!

Old 06-03-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

My son's tests came back normal -- probably because they didn't get enough blood or sweat, which kept me thinking in the back of my mind that it was all just a misdiagnosis and we'll just keep up with the treatments (CPT, enzymes, etc) until they prove otherwise. This is just me having wishful thinking. However, the other night my FIL gave ds fried chicken gravy and for the next day because I hadn't increased his enzymes -- we had liquid chicken gravy poo in the diapers.

Closed Thread