It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board

• Rectal Prolapse and RAD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2004, 02:58 PM   #1
    Can'tDecide

Can'tDecide HB User
    Rectal Prolapse and RAD

My preschool-age son has had rectal prolapse this last year. He also has been diagnosed with Reactive Airway disease. That means he just has breathing problems and uses a respirator when he has a bad cold. This usually only happens twice a year now...for about 5 days at a time. From these two diagnosis my doctor wants him to have a sweat test. He doesn't have a persistant cough. He's usually in the 90th percentile for growth in his age group, so he doesn't have a "failing to thrive issue" Do you think the test should be done. Are there cases that are very mild? Then do they slowly get worse? Thanks for any input!

Last edited by Can'tDecide; 09-11-2004 at 03:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
    sherry0902

sherry0902 HB User
    Re: Rectal Prolapse and RAD

Hi ,
    I'm a mother of a 2yr old with CF, my recommendation is to definately do the test. To rule out CF would be a great relief for your family and obviously your doctor. Its actually really terrific to hear of a dr. being so proactive- it shows he really is caring for your child.

The best thing about the sweat test is that it doesn't hurt one bit- they just put what looks like 2 plastic wrist watches on with some topical solution and they catch the sweat- no needles, no pain.

CF manifests itself in many different ways, there could be digestive issues, there may not, same thing with lung involvment.

Please let us know how you make out and PLEASE follow your dr.'s lead -- be thankful you have a doctor that wants to cover all of the bases.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I've been reading lately about a lot of adults being diagnosed with CF. Never had the failure to thrive issue. Sweat test is painless and you can find out if your child does have CF and start treatment.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
    Can'tDecide

Can'tDecide HB User

Thanks for the reply's.
    I had my son tested, his sweat chloride came back normal. He doesn't have CF.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
    CatherineinSC

CatherineinSC HB User

By all means, have the sweat test and if you have any results near 4Oyou should send his blood to AMBRY to the genetic test. (my daughters were both borderline results - one was 40 and 43; the other was 52 and 55) Rectal prolapse is frequently seen in CF patients and your doctor made a great call. Also my daughter had reactive airway diagnosis at 4, asthma at 11 and CF at 13. Yes, there can be mild cases and yes they do often get worse. CF is an awful diagnosis, but with good care, they do so much better. My daughters are both healthier now that they are diagnosed. I would have given anything to give them back the time it took to get them diagnosed. Catherine
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Can'tDecide
    My preschool-age son has had rectal prolapse this last year. He also has been diagnosed with Reactive Airway disease. That means he just has breathing problems and uses a respirator when he has a bad cold. This usually only happens twice a year now...for about 5 days at a time. From these two diagnosis my doctor wants him to have a sweat test. He doesn't have a persistant cough. He's usually in the 90th percentile for growth in his age group, so he doesn't have a "failing to thrive issue" Do you think the test should be done. Are there cases that are very mild? Then do they slowly get worse? Thanks for any input!

Closed Thread