It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board

• Can symptoms of cystic fibrosis suddenly occur at the age of thirty?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
    MaryLahree
    (female)

MaryLahree HB User
    Can symptoms of cystic fibrosis suddenly occur at the age of thirty?

To anyone who can answer:
    My niece turned thirty this past month. Three days ago she came to see me and said she had recently been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, based on test results that were shared by her doctor's nurse over the phone. She and her husband have a seventeen-month-old and her husband showed me where he had to have a blood test to determine, for their baby's sake, whether he also carries the CF gene. The determination would also be for their unborn baby, as my niece is several months pregnant.

I had no idea of what CF was, aside from understanding that it was a disease. So while my niece was visiting I searched the web and quickly read about CF. Then I was puzzled. From all I could tell, it seems that my niece would have experienced severe symptoms long before now; that they would have been evident very early on in her life. And she had been raised by her grandmother, who was a nurse - at least for many years of her life.

I began to think that it was my niece's baby, the seventeen-month-old, who was suspected of having CF, and that my niece was merely tested to determine if she carried the CF gene - in the same way her husband was tested. I understand that their unborn child could also be affected if both parents carry the CF gene.

It has been the case, that the baby has had numerous colds over the fall and winter, and that she frequently has diarreah. Too, my niece had shared that the baby's doctor was concerned about her weight gain. However, the baby's father is not a large man by any means. He is thin, and not overly tall. The baby is of a nice height for her age, and does not appear to be thin. It is that she feels light when I hold her, compared to my grandaughter, who is a few months younger, but also has larger parents - my son being over six-feet tall.

Could my niece be confused about which of them has, or is suspected of having CF? Or, am I mistaken to believe we would have known it by now if my niece did have CF? Thank you for any information you can give me. Either way, of course, the diagnosis is hurtful for me to learn as you can imagine.

Sincerely, MaryLahree

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Can symptoms of cystic fibrosis suddenly occur at the age of thirty?

She could be confused -- told she carries a gene for CF, but she could also HAVE cf, too. CF symptoms vary and there are numerous people diagnosed as adult -- some with asthma, sinus issues, trouble gaining weight, allergies, bowel issues.... Depending upon the mutation. I do know of a parent, who recently found out he carries two cf genes -- meaning he has CF. Apparently he doesn't have pancreatic insufficiency, so didn't have the bowel issues.

I would hope that their daughter is receiving additional testing to determine if she has CF, based on some of the symptoms -- loose stools, frequent illnesses, failure to thrive...

Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
    khatfield
    (female)

khatfield HB User
    Re: Can symptoms of cystic fibrosis suddenly occur at the age of thirty?

My husband, in his 30's, also found out he had CF. Two mutations. This explained many of his symptoms over the years. The doctors discussed with him that things may increasingly get worse for

I am a carrier of CF; this was all discovered through pre-natal testing...it complicated are journey to have a baby...but with IVF/PGD we now have a beautiful healthy son....

Old 08-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
    NewCFman
    (male)

NewCFman HB User
    Smile Re: Can symptoms of cystic fibrosis suddenly occur at the age of thirty?

I am a 49 year old male just recently diagnosed with CF. I am looking for best ways to fight this disease. I know diet and excercise are vital but what are the treatment options? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I was floored by this news!

Closed Thread