It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board

• Borderline? What does that really mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
    jbd118
    (female)

jbd118 HB User
    Borderline? What does that really mean?

My 2 year old had a "borderline" sweat test result yesterday - 54.... does this mean she has CF? Does it mean that there is actually a chance that she doesn't? Everything I read is so negative and seems to say that even borderline test results indicate CF... what's the point in having borderline if the end result is positive?

She has some symptoms - loose stools (not greasy or smelly though), chronic cough (NOT productive at all though), and when she had her adenoids removed this spring, the doc told us that her mucus is thicker than normal. She's healthy, gaining well, eating well, and has no other problems....

We took her for a follow up sweat test today and also had blood drawn for the genetic test....

Seriously, is there any hope for us? Or should I just prepare myself for the CF diagnosis?

You all seem so calm and resigned to this disease, and I'm absolutely panicked.... I do not want to spend the next 30 years watching my child die.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: Borderline? What does that really mean?

It's my understanding that 0-40 is considered normal, 40-60 is borderline and above 60 is positive; however, DS' test was a normal 32, yet his genetic tests showed CF. Until you get the results from the genetic testing, you'll probably feel as if your life is in limbo.

When DS was diagnosed, we went thru different states of grief --- I can remember being angry, in denial, scared to death, crying jags.. Even once we got the answers to DS's health problems. We took it one step at a time -- treatments, medications... Sure we still had the period of mourning -- what we expected (normal baby) vs. dealing with a genetic disease. But what choice did we have? May sound calm, but I still worry daily about our child's future, worried he'll get sick, be hospitalized....

Just focus on your child. Keeping her healthy and happy.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 11-29-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Closed Thread