It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board

If Someone Could Help Me Understand This

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #1
Laye
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User
If Someone Could Help Me Understand This

I have something I've been dealing with since my Dad passed a month ago. He was in hospice and under morphine until the very end. It was peaceful. What I want to know is his eyes opened up right before he passed as if he was looking at something. Then they closed. His eyes were closed the entire time while under the morphine. How come they opened right before? Was this just the brain disconnecting for the last time? I'm trying to understand this..if anyone has any information on this..I think it would help me.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Amygdala
(female)

Amygdala HB UserAmygdala HB UserAmygdala HB UserAmygdala HB User
Re: If Someone Could Help Me Understand This

Nobody really knows what, if anything is going through a persons mind. Since your father was unresponsive for perhaps 2 weeks? my guess is it was just random unconscious act. However the timing of it presents an interesting aspect.
While he was sedated with morphine, did you visit with some regularity; holding his hand while talking to him? Occasionally, I would have a patient respond slightly to my voice.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-16-2015 at 01:03 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amygdala For This Useful Post:
sweetpotato13 (09-21-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Laye
Veteran
(female)

Thank you for replying. He was not under long. He was only out of it for under 48 hours. I was rubbing his arm as he was very feverish. I could tell something was going on as his breathing changed and that's when I began talking to him telling him we loved him and it was okay to go. It felt like he heard me and surrendered..very moving and beautiful and peaceful. I'm hoping that is what it was for him too.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I have alot of experience with this sort of thing. I would say that your dad opened his eyes to take a look around, at you, or at the noises or people speaking in his room. He wasnt "conscious" as much as he was aware.
My father passed in April. He was unresponsive for five days prior to his passing. While I sat with him and held his hand and talked, he squeezed my hand. Hearing is the last sense to go- and its highly possible that your father heard you. I hope this brings you some comfort.
I wish I had magic words to say about getting past this difficult time, all I can say is it does get easier with time. I was doing okay until this weekend, Monday would have been his birthday and I am feeling the pain again. My best to you and your family .
MSNik

Last edited by Administrator; 10-16-2015 at 01:04 AM.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Laye
Veteran
(female)

Oh...thanks for that. That really comforts me. I feel so strange within my own family that I was the last one speaking to him. My brother was on the other side but was not talking to him..only me. I was deeply upset and crying but gentle at the same time. I must add I had a strange dream about three days prior to his death. It was a being and I remember being focused on the mouth. After my father passed I thought of that dream because I was so focused on his mouth as I watched him breathe. That may mean nothing at all but with grief you look for as much as you can to give you comfort. His birthday was this past week. I'm sorry for your loss..it really is a deep wound to heal and you're never ready for it. I've lost people before but a parent is most profound.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I think that, though of course it must have been so very hard for you, what you were able to do for your dad was such a privilege- to be able to lovingly usher him into Heaven with your words. My understanding too is that hearing is the last sense to go. Know that he heard you. Know that your words were loving and important. To give someone permission to go...that is so very powerful.

Last edited by sweetpotato13; 09-20-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Reply Reply