It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board

Father dying from liver failure

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
CMaple05
(male)

CMaple05 HB User
Father dying from liver failure

My father has been in intensive care for the last 2 weeks. He was diagnosed with end stage cirrhosis from alcohol abuse. Hospice brought him home last Friday which obviously means he has less than 6 months to live. He has all the symptoms of liver failure. He can't walk at all or move very well. Jaundice, swollen esophagus, severe confusion and dementia, slurred speech, fluid in his abdomen, swelling in his feet, no appetite, etc. Me and my mother are trying to take care of him but its very difficult to do. He thinks he can get up and walk around and tries to pull himself off the bed everytime he is awake which makes it impossible for either of us to rest. I just wanted to know if anyone else has been impacted by that and how did you get through it. I love my father very much and I know its just gonna continue to get worse. They never told me how long they think he has left. I'm 28 and have a 15 year old younger brother who its gonna be extremely hard on. If anyone has any insight into this topic, possibly a more accurate life expectancy, or how they got threw it the input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: Father dying from liver failure

I have no experience with this, but I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
CMaple05
(male)

CMaple05 HB User

Thank you sweetpotato.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
renko
Veteran
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had a husband who had dementia and would try to get out of bed all the time and I was afraid he would fall and break his hip or something else. Does your dad have a hospital bed? If so, if you have railings, you could possibly find something to hold the railings up until you were able to get him out of bed. I used straps and put them on the rails and under the bed but my husband could figure that out so I got locks and I had the key and put the bottom of the bed up. When nurses or firemen came sometimes to help him if he fell after taking a shower or something else happened, I told them and they understood that I just wanted to keep him safe and not break any bones. Best wishes. Can other friends or family members help relieve you and your mom so you can get rest?

Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
CMaple05
(male)

CMaple05 HB User

Thank you renko. I'm sorry to hear about your husband I never understood how hard dementia was to deal with until now. It's just hard because 3 weeks ago he was perfectly fine. Technically he doesn't have dementia but it's the build up of the toxins in his brain from his liver not working and it's just like it. I've started putting the couch beside his hosptial bed at night so he can't roll out of bed onto the floor. He doesn't have the strength to move it cause he won't eat anything. It's just so scary cause that's how he went into the hospital in the first place was he kept falling and bleeding everywhere one night and I forced him to go in the ambulance. But again I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with that and I appreciate your response to me.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
renko
Veteran
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User

I am so very sorry that you have to watch your father go through the pain of liver failure. I read the stages of death and prayed a lot and God gave me strength and peace during this time in my life and I will pray He holds you also to have the grace to go through this and I do hope you have faith and that you have friends and family to support you. It is difficult to watch a loved one in pain and when they stop eating and get so weak then it is the grieving process of watching them leave you. Again, thank you for your concern for me and I will be praying your dad has an easy time to transition to his new life beyond this. I hope you and your mom and brother go to a grief counseling group after he passes. I'm sure having an alcoholic dad was difficult for you too over the years. God bless you my friend.

Reply Reply