It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board

What are the differences between Hospice Care and palliative care?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
meetgrace
Inactive
(male)

meetgrace HB User
What are the differences between Hospice Care and palliative care?

Please let me know the difference between both, and which one is batter for your loved one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: What are the differences between Hospice Care and palliative care?

They are the same thing. Hospice, is the benefit which is written into the insurance and medicare policies...Palliative means comfort measures and is exactly what Hospice is.

Your doctor may refer to only giving Palliative Care to a patient who is end stage of a disease- the people who come to administer it are hospice workers who work for a Hospice Organization. Does that make sense?

Medicare and all insurance companies have benefits for "hospice"- Medicare pays 100% of it, but other insurance companies may have a cap (ceiling) or a dollar amount in which you cannot exceed...you would have to talk to a hospice company, who wil tell you what your loved one has as far as coverage.

Hospice/ Palliative care means that you are keeping a patient comfortable without administering any life saving medication or technology. As in no chemotherapy for a cancer patient, no surgery for a cardiac patient, only drugs to keep them comfortable. Usually this type of care is only suggested when the doctor feels that there is nothing left to do for a patient who is in the end stage of their disease.

I hope this helps.
MSnik

Old 01-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: What are the differences between Hospice Care and palliative care?

Some hospitals call their in-house option "palliative care" rather than hospice because it is administered by the hospital staff. Some people do not want to pass at home - for whatever reasons - and this offers an option. I had two friends who opted for this -one went there from home when she knew death was close and the other was in ICU and opted to move over to the palliative care unit.

Reply Reply

Tags
hospice stories, terminal ill