It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board

Liver Disease

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
Jonesyks
(female)

Jonesyks HB User
Liver Disease

My mother has been an addict for years, first alcoholism then drugs of every kind. She now has liver disease and the Dr's have given her maybe 6 months to live.

Likely less as she refused to stop taking OxyContin and Klonopin, she has prescriptions for these of course but abuses them badly.

I was mainly raised by my grandparents so she and I have a very strained relationship. Recently she had to move in with me - the stress of her being here and trying to care for her and even trying to come to terms with my feelings for her have been... I lost my job, I've become a hermit to other family and friends and I frankly have no idea how to deal with this. And yes, I've been to several counseling sessions.

She was admitted into the hospital last weekend and her Dr. told her that a request for a new liver had been denied - not a surprise to me honestly as I've been her 'caretaker' for a couple months now and I could not make her/talk her into doing what the liver team needed of her.

Now I'm not sure how to help her through this news - she really thought that she would receive a liver. I'm not even sure how I feel about it. My grandfather, her dad, has already lost 2 sons to drugs and he is like a father to me. Losing her would hurt him deeply even though he knows of her issues, I'm terrified that with his health it I might lose him as well.

To top it off I have a 20yr old 1/2 brother (different fathers) who is also addicted heavily to drugs and is in jail right now. Once he is released my mother wants him to move in with me - he did not finish school or is even willing to get his GED and he has never even tried to keep a job.
I am 100% against him moving in, but with my mother's condition I'm unsure of what to do.

Although our relationship has been terrible at times I do have some great memories of her. I want to be a good daughter to her but I'm not sure how to and how to handle the stress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2017, 04:55 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Liver Disease

What a sad story. I would suggest you start looking into county/ government housing for her. Im not suggesting an apartment, but a nursing home which can take care of her. With her liver disease she probably qualifies for state aid and nursing home care.
As for your brother, dont do it. You do not need this in your life and finding mom a safe place to live with nursing care should be your only priority..your brother will have to fend for himself. If jail didnt teach him anything, there is nothing you can do short of enabling him- to help him out. You can give him a couch to sleep on for a week while he looks for a place to live if you want to- but do not take him in.
As you well know drugs ruin lives. Since you had yours together you do not want the responsiblity of someone who may or may not be ready to get their own act together.
Talk to your mom's doctor. Find out if there is a social worker at the hospital you can speak with. let them know you are not qualified to take care of her medical needs and ask for help.
All hospitals have social workers to help you place your mom somwhere and help you navigate the paperwork.
Good luck!

Reply Reply