It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Death & Dying Message Board

• End Stage Dementia and Morphine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
    Danicat2358
    (female)

Danicat2358 HB User
    End Stage Dementia and Morphine

My father is in a VA facility in the end stage of dementia. The doctor had warned us it was a very aggressive form and since he was admitted in December, he has declined rapidly.

Hospice was called in yesterday as he has lost about 60 lbs in the last 6 months, has fallen multiple times and now is pretty much bedridden. His diet is now all slurry and he only eats about 10% of his meals (they have to feed him as he lost the use of any utensils about a month ago). Hospice started him on morphine and Ativan today (don't know the dosages).

My question is, about how much time are we looking at here til the end? I know it will probably be soon (my stepmother thinks he has 6 months I'm betting on less than a month.) His birthday is the 21st of June and I wonder if he'll even make that.

Anybody have any words of wisdom for me? I know this is pretty rambling, but my concentration is about shot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    dementia, morphine