It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Degenerative Diseases Message Board

• Nerve pain down arm - scary MRI

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
    moira120
    (female)

moira120 HB User
    Nerve pain down arm - scary MRI

Long story short, I stretched wrong in my chair and within a few days I had nerve pain all down my right arm. MRI and orthopedic surgeon, I'm not understanding at all what's going on and I don't know how to make informed choices to get better.

The MRI says that C2-C3 through C6-C7 I have uncovertebral and facet hypertrophy. Plus C2-C3 through C6-C7 there is neural foraminal narrowing. C3-C4 through C6-C7 minimal diffuse disc bulge. C5-C6 has probable annual fissure. C5-C6 and C6-C7 have central canal stenosis. My neck is curving the wrong way at the bottom too, according to the doctor, and first thing he saw on my images was bulging in C5-C6 and C6-C7.

Not only are these scary terms, but I can't find websites that explain in detail in layman's terms. All I've found are over simplified that explain nothing or articles meant for those in the medical field. And a lot of that "neural foraminal narrowing" is bilateral, and the rest are split pretty evenly between left side and right side, but my left arm feels completely fine.

What's weirder is that I had an MRI back in 2016 for a mystery nerve problem in my right arm, definitely not the same thing as this time, and that time every joint but C5-C6 was reported as "There is no herniation or stenosis". C5-C6 said mild disc bulge without focal herniation or canal stenosis. How does a neck go from peachy keen to all these degenerative conditions in 3 years? Not a couple of things starting to go, but all at once?

And how do I get my right arm back to normal? I'm going to be starting physical therapy, and I sobbed and got agreement for gabapentin (I can't go through nerve pain like that again), but what else? Someone mentioned a chiropractor, someone else said massage, what will make things right?

And now just a bit of self pity, this is going to be the third time since 2016 that I've had to put my right arm back together (figuratively). Nerve pain, severe muscle weakness, tendonitis, x2, x3, AC separation, cartilage damage thank you AC separation, and now bum neck. It mentally gets tougher each time because the thought of "let's see how long it lasts this time" looms larger each time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Nerve pain down arm - scary MRI

I would stay away from a chiropractor until you get through PT, it can undo what they are trying to do.

Stenosis is the same as narrowing- same thing, differnt word. Normal narrowing of the spine happens in our 30s and continues until we die..everyone goes through it; however, not everyone notices... it is very possible that it had begun on your first MRI but wasnt significant enough to see, but now has gotten worse. There is nothing they do for this and it does not cause pain.

Herniated discs DO cause pain and can cause numbness and tingling, especially if they are pushing against a nerve. PT is the answer- as it will help build up strength to strengthen the area around it...if PT does not work, you can explore surgery options.

Gabepentin may or may not work. I was on it for 6 months and it did nothing for me..you start at a very low dose, usually 2 or 3 times a day and they will increase the dosage up to 450 mgs 3 x a day...for some people, its great; for others, nothing. I unfortunately got nothing out of it. I have 3 herniated discs in my cervical spine.

I have learned to live with the pain as it comes and goes, but I did do PT for 4 months and continue doing the exercises at home. It did help more than anything else.

Try not to worry, nothing you wrote is life threatening...go to PT and let them help you. Good luck!

Reply Reply