It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Degenerative Diseases Message Board

Ddd

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
fig8wife
(female)

fig8wife HB User
Question Ddd

Hi my name is Teresa I am new on this board and am looking for answers or direction. For the past 2 years I have had leg pain which leaves me in bed for 75% of the day. I have a 11 year old and a 4 year old which makes things very difficult. I have had numerous tests done including, mri's of the entire spine which show DDD, MRI of the brain, ultrasound of the legs to rule out blood clots which was negative, an EMG which was negative, and I cant think of any other ones. The doctors are all telling me this pain in my legs is because of degenerative disc disease. But if that was the case would the nerves in my legs be acting up on emg? I have been seeing a nuero and pain management but the pain management doesnt understand the meds he wants to give me make me very tired and I have a 4 year old. I am so tired of being in pain. I really dont believe that this pain is not from my legs. My GP wants me to go for a CT scan of the pelvis to rule out a pelvic mass?!? If anyone can give me any insight to this degenerative disc disease or help with what to do next that would be great thanks!!
Teresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
gipsywolf1997
(female)

gipsywolf1997 HB User
Re: Ddd

so I know that it doesn't seem to make any sense that the pain in you're legs could be caused by something in you're back and not in you're legs, but unfortunately your doctor is right. What happens is that as the disc disintegrates it causes the openings that allow you're main nerve branch come off the spinal cord and run to the extremities to either narrow and cause pressure on the nerve, or as in my case, it can actually put enough friction on that nerve that it causes the nerve to 'fray' (like a rope). All of this can create excruciating pain anywhere from the top of the pelvis down to the tip of your toes. I actually developed what is called 'drop foot', where you actually lose the ability to take a complete step without having my toes drop to the floor in the middle of the step. You can also get what is called radiating pain... That is where you have one area that is hurt, but the location of the pain is either above or below the actual damaged location. It all has something to do with the way you're body sends and receives pain signals. If there is anything more I can help with, please feel free to email me! I remember how scared I was while trying to understand what was happening to me and at the same time make some sort of informed decision about the surgery. I do have to say that I believe I would be in a wheel chair at this moment if I hadn't had the disc replacement. I had absolutely no disc by the time I had my 2nd surgery there. It all is going to come down to how much you trust the surgeon who will be preforming the surgery. ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion before you proceed with ANY surgery!

Best of luck and I hope things get better for you!

Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
beachgurl1
(female)

beachgurl1 HB User
Re: Ddd

Hi there, sorry you are having these problems. I too have DDD, bulges, herniations, some stenosis and facet arthrosis that cause pain and problems in my legs. Having a young child myself, I know how this absolutely gets in the way of daily needs. Everyone is different but I have had good results with RFL (radio frequency nerve ablation). The nerves are basically burned so that the pain signals are not relayed to the brain. It is not a forever fix but usually results can last anywhere from 6 months to years for some people. It may be something to talk with your dr about to see if it may be an option for you. Again, everyone is different, but it's a thought.

Hope you find some relief soon.

Closed Thread