It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Pain after Wisdom Removal, Not Dry Socket

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
    ShiftWorkLife
    (male)

ShiftWorkLife HB User
    Question Pain after Wisdom Removal, Not Dry Socket

I had my wisdom teeth extracted on 8/11. As I write this on 8/25 (yep, 14 days later) I am completely healed with the exception of a throbbing pain on the right side of my jaw.

The pain is felt about midway up the right side of the jaw and the pain shoots back and around the back of the jaw, going up to my ear. It's very difficult to explain, but it feel like a deep, sharp headache, just in my jaw.

I pop two advil every 6-8 hours without fail, as that is the only effective way to go without pain for any real amount of time. There seems to be no pain correlation to eating or opening too wide, or anything like that. I just know that the pain is back after the ibuprofen wears off. I last saw my OS yesterday and he took the last of my packings out and said that everything has healed up great, not even redness. I have all jaw mobility back, and am pretty happy with my recovery minus this pain.

Anyone ever experience this or know of what this could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
    blueeyesal
    (female)

blueeyesal HB User
    Re: Pain after Wisdom Removal, Not Dry Socket

If your wisdom teeth were impacted, healing will take a lot longer than traditional (non-impacted) extractions. I had mine removed at age 19,and they were all impacted deep into my jaw bones. It took the surgeon 3 hrs instead of 20-30 min. Well of course that resulted in a lot of pain. My surgeon prescribed me Oxycontin which helped the pain tremendously. Even though your gums have healed you may still have a lot of nerve pain. You may benefit from narcotic pain meds rather than popping advil constantly which isn't going to help hardly at all. I'd ask your doctor for meds to help you deal with the pain. It will heal,it may just take longer. You would know if there was an infection because you would feel sick and have a fever most likely. Good luck and God bless!

Closed Thread

Tags
    jaw, pain, recovery, wisdom