It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Need teeth fixed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
    keflynn
    (female)

keflynn HB User
    Need teeth fixed

Hi Everyone.. Hoping someone can guide me. I'm 42 years old and my teeth are in bad shape (broken, chipped etc). I have a dentist and oral surgeon who have collaborated and told me my best option (cost wise) would be to have all of my upper teeth pulled and get an upper denture and some bottom teeth pulled and then get a partial bridge. I'm okay with all of this, however it still is expensive (oral surgery, temp denture, perm denture, bridge etc). I have dental insurance through my job but it doesn't cover much. Has anyone else been in this position? How were you able to cover the cost on a tight budget? I'm afraid that while I'm saving drips and drabs to cover this more teeth are gonna break off, I don't smile right now as it is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS.. My credit isn't good so I won't be approved for the dental credit, however both dentist and oral surgeon will allow me to pay half up front and then pay off the remaining balance within months (it's still to much for me).

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Need teeth fixed

Unfortunately, you dont have alot of options. I just went through this with my husband, he had 14 teeth pulled, 2 implants, 2 partials and he will need more teeth pulled after all this heals, and eventually more implants. Its costing us the price of a small house.
    Care Credit, which is a credit that many dentists use, is usually not based on your credit like a credit card. Do you know for a fact that you wont be able to get it? You said you are employed, as far as I know, that is the only requirement. Of course if you dont make the payments, you will be taken into collections and the interest rate is insane.
    If you need to get this done, get it done. Tooth decay and gum problems can cause everything from heart attacks to diabetes and plenty of other health concerns. Its not worth taking the chances on your overall health. Just "bite the bullet" and pay this off alittle bit at a time. I wish i had better news for you, but you can rest assured, you are not alone.
    MSNIk

Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
    Natalie0744
    (female)

Natalie0744 HB User

There isn't much you can do but maybe request a modified payment plan. The dentist may be able to break the treatment up to maximize their benefits. For instance, maybe start with the upper. Do it towards the end of the year and then do the bottom once the new year starts and you have more money available to you.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-08-2015 at 05:07 AM.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

I would go see an Endodontist to see if your teeth can be saved.

Maybe they could do some bonding instead of pulling teeth.

Dentures should be a final option.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
    SpaceGirl76
    (female)

SpaceGirl76 HB User

I agree with Movielover, that you should see an endodontist, or at least get another opinion from another dentist. My teeth are in pretty bad shape, too. Most of them are either chipped or have fillings, and I have to eventually crown most of them (my previous dentists all thought I was a bulimic in denial b/c most of my enamel is gone due to not taking care of my teeth when I was younger). I'm getting everything taken care of little by little, instead of paying for it all at once. But I held off visiting the dentist for the longest time, thinking they were going to tell me I have to have my teeth pulled. Imagine my surprise when I finally did visit the dentist, and she told me I needed mostly fillings, and a crown on the severely cracked tooth (one that broke from the bottom, leaving 1/4 of a tooth I thought would surely be pulled). I thought I was in pretty bad shape, but I haven't yet had a tooth pulled. So definitely see another dentist or an endo, see if your teeth are salvageable, and then do the work little by little, starting with what needs to be fixed first. It might end up costing more than getting your teeth pulled and the denture, etc., so if cost is a big factor, I can certainly understand your wanting to go that route, and I even researched going that route myself, to not have to pay all of that money for the crowns. But after reading about bone loss and the problems that could occur if I pull all of my teeth, I decided to go the crown route.

Last edited by SpaceGirl76; 10-02-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    dental care, false teeth, teeth breaking, tooth removal