It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Extreme sensitivity after perm. Crown

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
    Adwiegert
    (female)

Adwiegert HB User
    Extreme sensitivity after perm. Crown

I just had a permanent crown put on #3 yesterday (Tuesday). It's surrounded by 5 older crowns, one on either side and last three teeth below. None of those teeth have ever had any sensitivity until now.

3 was super sensitive to cold and pressure with the temp on, now with the permanent on it seems fine, but all the surrounding crowns top and bottom are extremely sensitive to temp! It doesn't even have to be cold! Room temperature water lit them all up and lingered for about ten minutes. Earlier a banana that's never seen the inside of a fridge killed the very back upper and lower.

I was supposed to see the dentist tonight because when the anesthesia wore off last night things felt super tight, like the new crown was pushing the tooth in front of it, and both felt squishy when biting or pushing on the with my tongue. However they cancelled my appt because he had an emergency so I can't see him until next Tuesday the 21st.

Obviously I've had a lot of crown work done, the other side of my mouth is just as extensively crowned, but I've never had this amount of pain and sensitivity before! Not even with the temporaries! This most recent has been a nightmare though.

For background: this started when I had mild nervey tooth pain on that upper right side. It was random and came and went. Tests and X-rays showed a small spot of inflammation at 3 and concluded that I must have bitten down on something hard and irritated the ligament. A month later though and things weren't better so he adjusted the bite. I had pretty much immediate relief, however my acupuncturist thought my jaw felt tight so she did some dry needling of the muscle on that side. Well this put everything into spasm and tooth 3 started hurting again and in addition the tooth behind it started hitting really hard. Tried massage and muscle relaxers and nothing helped. Dentist did another adjustment but after a few days that back tooth was hitting yet again. By this time 3 was sensitive and painful so he decided to do a crown on it. When he shaped it and got the temp on he also adjusted the back molar again and had to take most of the porcelain off one spot for it to stop hitting. Cue the two weeks of pressure and cold sensitivity on the temp, and then the permanent and entire side sensitivity.

Any ideas? Do you think the time that back molar spent hitting has caused this? But now #4 is sensitive too? It's the one that felt like it was being pushed though. Will this all calm down if he can get things adjusted next week? Should I see an endodontist? I wouldn't mind having the older crowns cut off and replaced if need be, but would be a shame if 3 needed work cause it's a brand new gold crown.

So is this a nerve issue? Bite? Which feels pretty good today but who knows. I just want this to get better not worse!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread