It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Dentistry fear and such shame over dental health

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
    thereds
    (male)

thereds HB User
    Dentistry fear and such shame over dental health

Hi all,

I'm 31, have a good job that I enjoy, a loving wife and 2 children which mean the world to me and otherwise pretty happy with my life.

My one residing shame is that of my dental health. I've (for reasons I still am not sure) got such a huge fear of dentists and the sheer lack of control I have when visiting; that as a younger man I really did put off seeing them.

Now my mouth is in the worst state, my lower right jaw is hurting and I am so ashamed. But I have recently managed to get the tablets (diazepam) I needed to even make the appointment and have my assessment. The dentist I saw to his credit could see I was unbelievably nervous, shaking and doing that heavy controlled breathing you do when you are trying your utmost to control your own self. Having looked through my mouth and listened to my stuttering ramble about how I wish I didn't have this abject fear he has established I need 4 teeth removing entirely but that this was to be done under general anaesthetic as there was going to be no way I would manage this however it would be normally done.

I am waiting for my letter of referral to come through and beginning to get into such a worked up state again.

Sorry to just rant almost, I was just keen to see whether anyone else was otherwise doing ok for themselves but shared this shame, for support more than anything ?

Cheers all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
    Re: Dentistry fear and such shame over dental health

Hiya thereds,

My sympathies go out to you, I too have an insane fear of dentist. I am absolutely petrified! My phobia began as a child with a not so great Mother who would use the dentist as a torture method and it has stuck. I did go for the first time in my adult life a year back and I was a mess. I stuck through the cleaning they did (after a whole lot of needles as I could feel everything and was freaking out) and that was all I needed thankfully as I brush my teeth religiously. I am about ready to go back again once I get the reminder for the yearly checkup and I don't feel as confident as I did going in last time.

I am almost 35 and would love to just have all my teeth removed for false teeth *and be asleep for it LOL*. BUT, they won't pull healthy teeth

Best of luck with everything!
    DW.

Last edited by Dragonfly Wings; 07-02-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I think the fact that you are acknowledging your fear is half the battle. You managed to get the medication to help you relax, you appear to be in good hands with an understanding dentist who is going to work with you...the rest is up to you.
    It wont be bad, being asleep and having this done...it is necessary to prevent future problems and you are going to be okay! Talk to the office about what you can take to relax prior to the appointment and follow their lead as they are familiar with how to best deal with cases like yours.
    Best of luck!

Old 07-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
    Dalma1986
    (female)

Dalma1986 HB User

Hi . Honestly I have same problem really just try to run away after two minutes seating in the chair , with few touches and I am out of the place . But when u have the pain u really need to take care of it ,it's not a shame u feel the way u feel . I had removed one wisdom tooth 2 days ago and was no pain numbed me my left face didn't feel just the presser when he tried to remove it . Basically no pain a lot safer with anaesthetic then puting u out to sleep . U just need a very good dentist who can take care of u . Who knows how to dill with a difficult freaking out person . Wish u all the best . Be brave and fix everything ��

Old 07-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
    thereds
    (male)

thereds HB User

Hi all,

I appreciate the thoughts, I have booked an appointment for this Thursday and just hope that I see the same chap as before. I may ring back today and ask whether I am able to just so there is some sort of feeling of familiarity.

I'm grateful for you all writing back.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:35 AM   #6
    Dalma1986
    (female)

Dalma1986 HB User

Good Morning. Everything will be fine , don't stress out .dentist are good they know how to take care of you. Everything will be okey . U won't feel anything. U will be so happy when it's done u will feel relief and u won't have a pain . U will even laugh why u was so nervous about it After the dentist just do what they say for the quick healing is very important! All the best . Let as know how it went .

Last edited by Dalma1986; 07-04-2017 at 01:36 AM.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
    Robb
    (male)

Robb HB UserRobb HB User

Yes many have dental anxiety I too have had it at times over the years. My dentist has given me valium to help manage and its been a HUGE help allowing me to feel more relaxed there but keep in mind by law you must have someone drive you home taking that medication. The more you face your fear and get work done the better you will feel and it will help to overcome some of your fears over time. For me it never got totally better but did improve some over time given the familiarity with procedures and getting to know my dentist better. Make sure you focus on breathing slowly and through your stomach while there it helps. Best wishes as you get the work done!!!

Old 07-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
    armywife2007
    (female)

armywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB Userarmywife2007 HB User

Dentist fears, I think, are normal. I go to the dentist every three months for my own piece of mind but every time I go, I am always a wreck. The fear that something will be wrong terrifies me. I had to get a cavity filled a while back ago and it ended up taking almost three hours because I would let them come near me with the needle to numb my mouth. They gave my laughing gas and even after 45 minutes on it I was still crying. I don't think it will ever get better but it is something that has to be done.

Reply Reply

Tags
    chair, dentist, teeth