It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

Unbearable pain; Any help?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
Jagraal
(male)

Jagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB User
Unbearable pain; Any help?

i apparently cracked a tooth some years back; back left molar. Had pain whenever i bit down on something hard on a certain spot. Also had pretty bad sensitivity to cold. Maybe a year back, as it worsened, the dentist recommended filling it, so he did. Nothing changed, so 6 months later he tried refilling it. Still ended up the same. Wasn't too freaked out, i just ate on the other side and stayed away from cold.

One night last week, i was playing with my son and i noticed the tooth felt a little "off". Just some minor discomfort, but it felt unusual. By two days later, i was having severe pain in the tooth and my lymph node was pretty swollen. Eventually, i decided to call an endodontist, because i was in such pain and didn't want to mess around. i couldn't get to one over the weekend, so i waited it out till monday, using ibuprofen and some painkillers i had left over from a previous ailment. By monday, it was unbearable and had moved around the back jaw lower and upper molar area and gums.

He did x rays and a root canal on the tooth (he was certain this was the culprit). Also gave me a script for an antibiotic (clindamycin), a steroid and painkillers.

i did a followup with a dentist, who also took x rays, including a radial one.

Both doctors felt like things went well and everything looked good on the x rays. But here i am, Friday night after the Monday root canal and i have the most excruciating pain i've ever had. It is relentless. i knock it back a little with a steady diet of Advil and codone, but that only takes the edge off and doesn't last too long. There is still pain coming from the original tooth, but i feel it along the jaw hinge and along the top molar on the same side. Also parts of the gums and far back in my mouth on the roof, behind the molar.

i'm going to have to call back on Monday. i can't take this. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Whats going on? i don't know if its infection, abcess, nerve damage, bone infection.... The pain is unbelievable. Any help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Unbearable pain; Any help?

Unfortunately Monday being a holiday, you are not likely to find a dentist on call. You could go to the hospital ER. Most hospitals have an oral surgeon on call for emergencies. They will at least take a look at the situation and either prescribe you something or attempt to help you surgically if need be.

There is no way to know what is causing your pain from your description. You probably need another Xray to look at the situation..

Hope you feel better soon!

Reply Reply