It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

Deep Cleaning Does It Hurt and What to Expect?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User
Re: Deep Cleaning Does It Hurt and What to Expect?

Oh I see, well thanks for the input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User

When it comes down to it, after getting a deep cleaning, how do you keep your teeth clean, if you plan to eat and get them all dirty all over again?

Like whats the point, you eat, your teeth get messed up and you need a deep cleaning, even with taking care of your teeth by brushing, flossing, and mouth washing, apparently doing all of that DOES NOT save your teeth because you still need to do a deep cleaning?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #18
kanded
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

That's why you are supposed to brush and floss your teeth everyday, 2 x a day. Think of the deep cleaning like washing a blackboard with water. You get all the dirt off. But most days, you just wipe the blackboard with an eraser, which may leave a slight residue behind.
The same with your teeth, when you get a DEEP cleaning, they take a pick to your teeth and get all the plaque off from between the teeth, they get under the gums as much as possible and try to restore the damage we have done to our teeth over the years. Most people may need only one or two deep cleanings in their lifetime.
But after you eat, dentists recommend you brush your teeth to get the residue off right away. But most of us don't pay attention, brush our teeth maybe inconsistently or not well, don't floss, etc. That causes a build-up. So regular tooth brushing may get most of that off, but not all. So once or twice a year you go to a dentist, get a REGULAR cleaning, and that takes off some if not most of the gunk.
A deep cleaning is for someone who has neglected their teeth, or has a problem with plaque, or gingivitis. They usually do one or two sections of the mouth at a time.
But I understand the fear, too. I had a bad experience at the dentist one time, and now every time I have to go, I have to drink calming tea before and psych myself up for it. But I know if I don't go, my teeth will just get worse and worse.
If you don't want to go for a deep cleaning, you may be able to buy at the store some picks and things, and try to get off some of the plaque yourself, although I think its not recommended by dentists. You don't want to damage the enamel of the tooth.
Hope you feel better about going, at least for just a regular cleaning.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #19
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanded View Post
That's why you are supposed to brush and floss your teeth everyday, 2 x a day. Think of the deep cleaning like washing a blackboard with water. You get all the dirt off. But most days, you just wipe the blackboard with an eraser, which may leave a slight residue behind.
The same with your teeth, when you get a DEEP cleaning, they take a pick to your teeth and get all the plaque off from between the teeth, they get under the gums as much as possible and try to restore the damage we have done to our teeth over the years. Most people may need only one or two deep cleanings in their lifetime.
But after you eat, dentists recommend you brush your teeth to get the residue off right away. But most of us don't pay attention, brush our teeth maybe inconsistently or not well, don't floss, etc. That causes a build-up. So regular tooth brushing may get most of that off, but not all. So once or twice a year you go to a dentist, get a REGULAR cleaning, and that takes off some if not most of the gunk.
A deep cleaning is for someone who has neglected their teeth, or has a problem with plaque, or gingivitis. They usually do one or two sections of the mouth at a time.
But I understand the fear, too. I had a bad experience at the dentist one time, and now every time I have to go, I have to drink calming tea before and psych myself up for it. But I know if I don't go, my teeth will just get worse and worse.
If you don't want to go for a deep cleaning, you may be able to buy at the store some picks and things, and try to get off some of the plaque yourself, although I think its not recommended by dentists. You don't want to damage the enamel of the tooth.

So they do use a pick to clean the teeth along the gum line, or do they do more than that?

Because I keep hearing different things, people saying a deep cleaning of the teeth means, it involves scaling and rooting of the teeth and gums.

Others say a deep cleaning is a deep brushing of the teeth and gums no pick used.

While others say it uses the pick and is a regular brushing etc.

Which is it and does it really hurt?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #20
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanded View Post

I went for a regular cleaning and honestly don't think the dentist did a good job of it. All the nurse did was clean my teeth with the electric tooth brush, barely flossed me, and thats it, besides the xrays.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #21
kanded
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

I haven't had a deep cleaning, my dad did. I would think it would hurt since they give you anesthesia for it. Anytime they are working under the gum line, it is pretty sensitive.
When they do a deep cleaning, its because the person has pockets of bacteria under the gum line that cause inflammation.
If you don't have pockets of bacteria under the gum line, then you don't need a deep cleaning.
I don't know what all the tools are they use, you would have to call and talk to a dentist's office. I have just heard from my dad and others basically what it is.
If you are that scared that it will hurt, I suggest you get sedation dentistry. At least they can give you nitrious oxide or something like it to help you to feel more comfortable.
Sorry, that's all I got.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #22
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygals View Post

So what should we eat then to prevent ANYTHING from happening to our teeth and having to do a deep cleaning period?
That's an excellent question. Sorry I didn't get around to giving a better answer to it before.

This is my theory, for whatever it's worth. It has worked for me over the last couple of decades and kept me from ever having to get deep cleaning again. I reasoned that since gum disease is an inflammatory disease, I would need to eat an "Anti-inflammation Diet".

So you asked, "what should we eat?" The short answer is: Foods that do not cause inflammation. The worst inflammatory food is refined sugar; don't eat any foods that contain added sugar . That includes a lot, like most breads, cakes, pies, pastries, donuts, crackers, pancakes, waffles. In other words, don't eat any baked goods that contain sugar and white flour. I just added white flour because white flour actually turns to sugar as it gets chewed and mixed with saliva.

Other items include soft drinks, juice drinks, and many other drinks that include added sugar. Soft drinks and baked goods that contain sugar substitutes are still inflammatory.

It might be easier to just say the following: Keep processed foods to a bare minimum because processed foods are inflammatory.

Another large category is animal protein because animal protein has an acidic effect on the body and that can cause inflammation too. So it's important to keep that to a minimum. You might only need one meal per day that includes animal protein. At other times you can substitute legumes in place of animal protein.

So what do I eat? I eat fresh fruit, a large variety of non-starchy vegetables, limited amounts of whole (intact) grains, legumes, limited amounts of nuts and seeds. That's the essence of it.

I'm a vegan but you don't have to be. Just don't overdo the animal protein.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-26-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #23
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Honestly, I had one done, all teeth at once. It hurt, I won't lie. I had a lot of needles for the pain, but it still hurt quite a bit.

I have quite a few tattoos and I would much rather sit through another 5hr tattoo session then to go through that again.

That's just my experience though, and everyone is different

Old 09-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #24
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
That's an excellent question. Sorry I didn't get around to giving a better answer to it before.

This is my theory, for whatever it's worth. It has worked for me over the last couple of decades and kept me from ever having to get deep cleaning again. I reasoned that since gum disease is an inflammatory disease, I would need to eat an "Anti-inflammation Diet".

So you asked, "what should we eat?" The short answer is: Foods that do not cause inflammation. The worst inflammatory food is refined sugar; don't eat any foods that contain added sugar . That includes a lot, like most breads, cakes, pies, pastries, donuts, crackers, pancakes, waffles. In other words, don't eat any baked goods that contain sugar and white flour. I just added white flour because white flour actually turns to sugar as it gets chewed and mixed with saliva.

Other items include soft drinks, juice drinks, and many other drinks that include added sugar. Soft drinks and baked goods that contain sugar substitutes are still inflammatory.

It might be easier to just say the following: Keep processed foods to a bare minimum because processed foods are inflammatory.

Another large category is animal protein because animal protein has an acidic effect on the body and that can cause inflammation too. So it's important to keep that to a minimum. You might only need one meal per day that includes animal protein. At other times you can substitute legumes in place of animal protein.

So what do I eat? I eat fresh fruit, a large variety of non-starchy vegetables, limited amounts of whole (intact) grains, legumes, limited amounts of nuts and seeds. That's the essence of it.

I'm a vegan but you don't have to be. Just don't overdo the animal protein.

So you expect me to not eat at all and just get an eating disorder right? Because thats what it looks like by all of this.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #25
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Wings View Post
Honestly, I had one done, all teeth at once. It hurt, I won't lie. I had a lot of needles for the pain, but it still hurt quite a bit.

I have quite a few tattoos and I would much rather sit through another 5hr tattoo session then to go through that again.

That's just my experience though, and everyone is different

HA! See, see, see!!!!!! Even WITH the SHOT it still hurts! So whats the damn point!!!!!!!!! IF I ever decide to do this deep cleaning I am going to get the IV done and get TOTALLY knocked out completely.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #26
kanded
(female)

Well, I did recommend to you sedation dentistry because it sounds like you are afraid of some pain. After having 3 kids, getting cavities isn't fun, and sometimes it hurts, but nothing like childbirth.
If you know you have a low pain tolerance you should probably just get all cavities, cleanings, etc. done at once while you're under so you don't have to deal with it at all.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #27
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User

Well I was going to get the deep cleaning done, but since my parents are complaining about the price tag of me wanting to be knocked out by IV, they don't want to pay that so I won't do it any other way. The shot in the mouth hurts I know it does, even though I've never had it done, I know it hurts, just like any other shot. So oh well no deep cleaning for me, guess my teeth will rot.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #28
Sher_A
(female)

Sher_A HB User

I figured I'd throw in my two cents since I have a great fear of dentists, and a low pain tolerance. There seems to be several kinds of "deep cleanings" now, but the one where they go up under your gums is also called "scaling." First, nearly everything they do to you at the dentist's involves a degree of discomfort, but it's better to put up with it now and avoid bigger problems later that will also be a lot more expensive. I got mine done first the left side, then the right side. That's a good way to do it. The reason they do it in sections is to minimize the discomfort.

You will get 4-6 shots. Really, only the first one hurts a bit. By the time they do the others you are pretty well numbed up. Since they go up and under the gums, it's a good idea to be numbed up. I've done it both ways, and prefer the shots. Some dentists are brutal with the shots, but some are very good with them and will slowly inject the novacaine and shake the lip, so it doesn't hurt as much. The reason why it's important to get the deep cleaning -at some point- is that plaque will accumulate under the gums over time, and ultimately cause infections and gum disease if it isn't managed. Yes, you can eat right, and use that electric tooth brush, etc., but still need to see the dentist for routine cleanings and an occasional scaling. Only a dentist can get that plaque off, it's on there like concrete.

I don't know what's up with that round thing they use for xrays, but it's awful. It's top heavy and my mouth isn't strong enough to keep all that apparatus from falling. I usually have to hold it myself. One other thing... not sure if you should use baking soda all the time to brush your teeth. It is an abrasive and you want to be careful not to wear down the protective enamel on your teeth. I am sure most toothpastes are adequate to do the job.

The reason why sedation dentistry is super expensive is that most insurance and discount plans don't touch it - they don't want to pay for the anesthesiologist that is required to be there the whole time you are completely under. There are other options for your comfort that they can provide. But truly try not to talk and scare yourself out of it. I've been there and done that too. Just toughen yourself up for it and decide to get it done and do it. I know it sounds very scary but you will definitely get through the day. You will be glad later. As for dentists, word of mouth is a great way to find a good one, and just doing some research. People definitely know who not to go to.

And yes, the first shot hurts, but it's only for a couple of seconds and is not the end of the world. You would think they would have a better way by 2017 but sadly, they don't. But you can do it!!! So, just do it for the sake of your teeth!

Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #29
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher_A View Post
I figured I'd throw in my two cents since I have a great fear of dentists, and a low pain tolerance. There seems to be several kinds of "deep cleanings" now, but the one where they go up under your gums is also called "scaling." First, nearly everything they do to you at the dentist's involves a degree of discomfort, but it's better to put up with it now and avoid bigger problems later that will also be a lot more expensive. I got mine done first the left side, then the right side. That's a good way to do it. The reason they do it in sections is to minimize the discomfort.

You will get 4-6 shots. Really, only the first one hurts a bit. By the time they do the others you are pretty well numbed up. Since they go up and under the gums, it's a good idea to be numbed up. I've done it both ways, and prefer the shots. Some dentists are brutal with the shots, but some are very good with them and will slowly inject the novacaine and shake the lip, so it doesn't hurt as much. The reason why it's important to get the deep cleaning -at some point- is that plaque will accumulate under the gums over time, and ultimately cause infections and gum disease if it isn't managed. Yes, you can eat right, and use that electric tooth brush, etc., but still need to see the dentist for routine cleanings and an occasional scaling. Only a dentist can get that plaque off, it's on there like concrete.

I don't know what's up with that round thing they use for xrays, but it's awful. It's top heavy and my mouth isn't strong enough to keep all that apparatus from falling. I usually have to hold it myself. One other thing... not sure if you should use baking soda all the time to brush your teeth. It is an abrasive and you want to be careful not to wear down the protective enamel on your teeth. I am sure most toothpastes are adequate to do the job.

The reason why sedation dentistry is super expensive is that most insurance and discount plans don't touch it - they don't want to pay for the anesthesiologist that is required to be there the whole time you are completely under. There are other options for your comfort that they can provide. But truly try not to talk and scare yourself out of it. I've been there and done that too. Just toughen yourself up for it and decide to get it done and do it. I know it sounds very scary but you will definitely get through the day. You will be glad later. As for dentists, word of mouth is a great way to find a good one, and just doing some research. People definitely know who not to go to.

And yes, the first shot hurts, but it's only for a couple of seconds and is not the end of the world. You would think they would have a better way by 2017 but sadly, they don't. But you can do it!!! So, just do it for the sake of your teeth!

Sorry but nope. Not doing it no matter what you say so there.

I am NOT getting shot in the mouth even if it was ONCE and it made my whole face numb and I didn't feel NOTHING. I would NEVER do it period.

I honestly don't see the point in this deep cleaning scaling crap. Whats the point? You get it done, your teeth are MAGICALLY clean for a short while, BEFORE getting all messy with eating and drinking AGAIN.

Then causing that tadar and bad stuff to COME RIGHT BACK! So whats the damn point? It will just come back and you will HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN!!!!

And no duh sherlock I know the knocking you out costs a TON OF MONEY and NO INSURANCES will pay for it. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate people who have perfect teeth and NEVER have issues screw them.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #30
ponygals
(female)

ponygals HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher_A View Post

Besides that, what about that so called pill that makes you all relaxed and calm? That is BS I heard too.

Just why can't you just have teeth that magically fix themselves with no needles or anything. Why isn't there that electric tooth brush or tooth paste that wull PREVENT tooth bad stuff to happen in the first place.

Reply Reply