It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

Lost papilla (aka gaping hole) after gum graft

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Elvgrl4
(female)

Elvgrl4 HB User
Lost papilla (aka gaping hole) after gum graft

Had my gum graft on 3 upper teeth done 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I had the stitches removed. When they were removed a white chunk of tissue was also removed exposing a hole between 2 teeth. My periodontist told me that there was some "extra" tissue and to give it 6 to 8 weeks to right itself. When I got to my car I saw this gaping hole between 2 teeth just below said extra tissue. Naturally I freaked out and went back in and her assistant said "6 to 8 weeks" but I'm not confident she knew what I was talking about. I'm hoping and praying because the tissue where that white blob was is reddish that it will all somehow grow back, but I'm terrified it won't. Food keeps getting stuck in there too. I'm seriously freaking out because the only reason I did the grafting was to secure my teeth for invisalign. You couldn't even see the recession. Now when I smile there's this hole that's dark and hideous. Has this ever happened to anyone? Should I just accept that this is the way it's going to be? Or is it possible that it might heal over?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
riptoff
Veteran
(male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User
Re: Lost papilla (aka gaping hole) after gum graft

The 'black hole' is probably incurable but can be disguised with a gingival veneer which is a slip of gum-coloured material that has to be replaced from time to time. I would forget about Invisalign if I were you.

Reply Reply