It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• help! dental fear

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
    waterpiki

waterpiki HB User
    help! dental fear

Wondering if it's just me?

I use to go to the dentist regularly, with no problem. As a matter of fact, when I was in my twenty's I use to get my teeth drilled and filled without novicane, much to my then dentist's amazement.

Within the last 10/15 years or so, I have developed an unexplainable fear of going, even if it's just a cleaning.

My current dentist is pretty patient with me, probably because I put his kids through school, LOL.

I freeze with fear at just the thought of having to go, but dental emergencies have forced the issue.

Anyone else with this problem?

How do you deal with it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #2
    suzyisdizzy
    (female)

suzyisdizzy HB User
    Re: help! dental fear

I have always had a fear of going to the dentist, and I've always had bad teeth, not a good combo. I've have spent probably hundreds of hours in the dental chair. I've had a bazillion fillings, root canals, extractions and even one dental implant. What I have found to get me to go through with it is, finding a dentist you can trust. I now prefer female dentists, so I only go to those. I meet with them and if I find one I like I stay with them. I was with my last one for 17 years until she moved away. I have a new one now and she is great too. I see it as going to get a facial at a spa. Not something scary. I know the dentist is just a person who is doing a job. I know I won't be in the chair for more than an hour. I know that I am in control. I listen to my ipod and just try to relax. There is really nothing to be scared of. I do get spooked every time, but i am fine once I am in the chair.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzyisdizzy For This Useful Post:
    SanyBelle (01-15-2019)
    Reply Reply