It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Number 9 Crown

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
    berkeley3525
    (male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User
    Number 9 Crown

During the month of September and October 2017, I had a total of 18 Crowns.
    I'm having a problem with just one of the Crowns which is #9. There was very little tooth so when the dentist used the drill to grind down the tooth there was very little tooth to attach the Crown to. As a result, the Crown had came off just yesterday for the 5th time. I have an appointment to see the Dentist on Tuesday and have two choices which are (1) root canal with a metal post and new Crown or (2) an implant. The Dentist will most likely leave the decision with me. Would appreciate your thoughts. Many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2019, 03:47 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Number 9 Crown

Impants are fantastic as they look like "real" teeth and when they are done correctly, they can last forever; BUT they are not a one stop job.

To have an implant done, they first need to make sure there is enough bone in the jaw to screw it into- if there isnt, they use bone grafts (which these days are usually synthetic bone- sometimes they use real bone from cadavers) and that needs to be placed under the skin and left alone for about 6-8 weeks to heal....(in the meantime they will give you a temporary crown in the area)- then, they take a mold, and have to make the implant in the lab (another week or so) and while doing this, they put the post into the jaw- which is done under novacaine- you wont feel it, but you'll have a metal post which needs to heal.... the temp crown will go on top. After another few weeks when this heals, they will eventually place the implant.

Implants are expensive- they run anywhere from 2500-4000$ per implant...but they should last forever. I have 2 of them and I am very happy with mine. My husband has 4 of them and he has dentures screwed into his- and he is thrilled as well.

If you go with a new crown- go with the root canal and the post. I had that for 10 years before it went bad- which is a pretty good run of time- before I went with the implant because my teeth shifted and it just didnt look great anymore...(in between, I wore Invisilign to get my teeth straight before I invested in the implant)..

Either way, dental work is a pain because it is never "one step"- but your mouth is the first thing people notice, so do what you must to feel good about yourself.
    good luck!

Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
    berkeley3525
    (male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User

Many thanks for your reply. Fortunately, I do have enough bone for an implant. I have dental insurance and can afford both procedures ($3065 versus $1385). I'm leaning toward the root canal, metal post and new crown which would take two visits and about 10 days versus an implant that would take 5 months. I just want some assurance that the metal post and new crown will remain in place and not fall out. I'm 79 years old. If I was twenty years younger, it would be an implant.

In a previous message, I mentioned that I have a dental flipper for #7 which I strongly dislike and with this tooth, I have no choice but an implant and fortunately have enough bone so the procedure should take 5 months. During this time the dental flipper will be used when I'm outdoors.

Fortunately, I have a dentist who does it all so its one stop shopping. The other dentist nearby just do basic dentistry (no root canals, implants, bone grafts).

Again, many thanks for your reply.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Berkely, my crown lasted 11 years before I replaced it and it would have lasted longer, but I decided to do the Invisalign which changed my teeth- so I had to either replace the crown or do the implant. I chose the implant. I think a good dentist can keep the crown in for the next 15 years without a problem, if thats what you want to do- go for it!

Old 04-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
    WW2ER
    (female)

WW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB UserWW2ER HB User

Implants require regular maintenance like your regular teeth. This is very true especially if all one has is dentures attached to them. They get plaque and tarter too.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Reply Reply