It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• jaw out of alignment after dental xrays

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    jaw out of alignment after dental xrays

has anyone had this happen?
    I had x rays and shortly after I felt like my teeth were too big for my mouth on one side, so I went back to the dentist and he said my jaw is out of alignment and blamed it on grinding and clenching at night and recommended a mouth guard. After putting 2 and 2 together, I know I can blame this problem on the xrays when he told me to "open as wide as you can", although the dentist didn't fess up and tell me that's what it's from and I'm sure he knew. I've had 3 visits to my chiropractor and it's helped, but it's not back to where it should be. Anyone know any tricks to get it back in the right spot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: jaw out of alignment after dental xrays

Dear rosequartz,

Dentists are not going to fess up or help us out.
    We know that over-stretching any body part can create discomfort or pain. I notice that the older I get the easier that occurs.

Hot compresses on the shoulders and neck helps a great deal and so does a good massage. It is not as relaxing but you can even massage the area yourself. I really believe what is needed is to relax and give this some time.

Do you have access to a hot tub? If not, a bathtub of as warm water as you can tolerate with 1 and a half cups of Epsom salts dissolved in it really helps the muscles relax. Of course you have to lay back and get your jaw in the water too as much as is safe and possible. A hot pad on the jaw helps too.

At pharmacies there are instant hot pads you can apply to your neck and face as well. I would wrap them in a towel and not apply them directly to the skin. Alternating hot and cold can help too.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

thanks for the tips yayagirl, I'll give them a try!

The following user gives a hug of support to rosequartz:
    yayagirl (06-07-2019)
    Old 06-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

You're very welcome, rosequartz. I hope you feel back to normal soon.

I had a dentist similar to yours, myself, that kept asking me to open wider. I felt like asking if he had any real dental experience. He was quite young and probably was fresh out of dental school so I didn't say anything.

The older, wiser, well experienced doctors are quickly retiring. We may be in for a world of trouble.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Xrays cannot cause your mouth to be out of alignment; its not possible to open it that wide to do this; however, clenching and grinding can cause jaw issues; a mouth guard should really help!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Xrays cannot cause your mouth to be out of alignment; its not possible to open it that wide to do this; however, clenching and grinding can cause jaw issues; a mouth guard should really help!
    it wasn't the xrays, it was the opening of my mouth that wide! I can't believe it WASN"T due to the xrays/opening wide due to the timing of it

Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear rosequartz,

You are so correct that mandibular dislocation from over extension can and does happen to some of us just as any over-extended joint can be damaged or dislocated.

Doctors have made many mistakes in their judgement regarding my own health care, some serious ones that I have to live with. We need to always be ready to make our own judgements. I now always let new doctors know up front that I very much appreciate their expertise and knowledge, but I have to set my own limits because I am the one that has to live with results. If they accept that we can work together. Most often they are relieved.

Use your own judgement of how far to go with any treatment and save yourself a lot of grief. If a professional can't deal with your mouth within your comfort zone, excuse yourself from his care until or unless you change your own mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    rosequartz (06-10-2019)
    Reply Reply