It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Scaling and root planing

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
    marip1
    (female)

marip1 HB User
    Scaling and root planing

I had the left side of my mouth done for a deep cleaning a scaling and root planing. The girl that was doing the cleaning numbed my mouth first because without being numbed this cleaning is painful. Throughout the cleaning I had no pain but I kept getting so much water in my mouth that was being used. Only at times did she put the small water drainage tube in my mouth. I felt like I was being drowned. One time the water gushed out of my mouth. Next month I'm suppose to go back for the other side of my mouth to be cleaned but I'm not looking forward to having this again. I think she used too much water and should have kept the drainage tube inside my mouth the whole time she was cleaning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Scaling and root planing

I didn't know that they use water for deep cleaning. I had deep cleaning back in the late 1990s by a dentist and he didn't use water. However, several deep shots of novacaine was the worst part for me. He did one quadrant at a time.

Why don't you call your dentists office and tell them about your bad experience?

When you say you had the left side of your mouth done, does that mean upper and lower? I never heard of it being done that way.

Lately I have learned that it may not be necessary to do all the teeth in one quadrant. The spaces between gums and teeth get measured and it's called periodontal charting. You can ask for a copy to see for yourself. If I understand this correctly, numbers 1, 2, and 3 indicate that nothing needs to be done yet. But any tooth that measures #4 or higher means that deep cleaning is needed so it doesn't get worse. 5, 6, and 7 are the worst. Then I learned that there are dentists who will do just the few teeth that really need it.

I was due to get my whole mouth done at a cost of $836.00. Then I decided to ask for a copy of the periodontal charting. To my surprise I found that I only have five teeth that need deep cleaning. I also found another dentist who will do just those 5 teeth at a cost of $50 each. That would come to a
    total of $250.00 instead of $836.00

I also found out that they can numb just one tooth at a time without giving a deep shot of novacaine. They claim I would only feel a small pinch. I found this out over the phone and will be going for a free second opinion in a few days.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would certainly tell her to use it! You can control that. I've had one tooth done with and one without. Coudn't really tell much difference.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
    marip1
    (female)

marip1 HB User

I had the upper and lower done on the left side. For the whole mouth the cost will be about $1000.00. Medicare will be paying 50%. I'm planning on telling my dentist office when I go back for the next cleaning how uncomfortable it was with the last cleaning and hopefully she will use less water.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
    berkeley3525
    (male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User

A thousand dollars is very overpriced. I had scaling and root planing done a year ago and the dentist charged me what my Insurance company allows which is $129 per quad x 4 = $516.00. Also, I've never heard of Medicare covering this procedure. Some Medicare plans cover cleanings, xrays and periodic oral evaluation but nothing else. My Medicare plans doesn't cover any dental procedure.

Reply Reply