It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Tongue care??

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
    hannahw
    (female)

hannahw HB User
    Tongue care??

Hi everyone!!

I recently started focusing more on my oral hygiene, since my depression has caused me to ignore it, and I know I should probably see a dentist, but I'm waiting for my insurance to renew for that.
    Anyway, I started getting into the habit of brushing my tongue because it looks like there's this white residue on it (especially in the way back), which I'm assuming is bacteria and whatnot so I try to brush it away when I can. When ever I do brush it though, the next day it's wicked sore. Almost like I burnt it on something, and it's wicked sensitive to food that I eat ( which is hard because I just had my gallbladder out and eating is terrible).

Is there something I can do, or should I just continue and hope it works itself out??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Tongue care??

Are you taking medication for depression? Did they give you an antibiotic when you had your gallbladder removed? Are you still on antibiotics? Any other medications? Between the medications and the stress of having an operation, your natural balance of oral bacteria may have been disturbed.

Also, your diet may be important too. Sometimes when people are under stress, they tend to eat more unhealthy comfort foods, and that doesn't help to maintain a healthy balance of micro-flora in the mouth and/or gut. 70% of your immune system is controlled by the micro-flora in your lower digestive system. So, eat a healthy diet, get moderate exercise if possible, and avoid stress.

Avoid highly processed foods, especially baked goods made with sugar and flour. And do eat more natural whole foods, especially plant foods that are high in both nutrition and fiber.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

White spots on the back of the tongue can be thrush... thrush is yeast. It cannot be brushed off and you need a special (prescription) mouth wash to get rid of it...you can also take anti thrush medication, but again you need to see a doctor to get it.

I realize you are waiting for your insurance to kick in..but if you can afford to see a walkin clinic- they can swab your mouth and determine if it is thrush and they can prescribe the mouthwash...and yes, a dentist can also do this.

Dont try to brush it off...and at this time, change your toothbrush because you can recontaminate yourself using a toothbrush with yeast on it.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
    Max3
    (male)

Max3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hannahw View Post
    Hi everyone!!

I recently started focusing more on my oral hygiene, since my depression has caused me to ignore it, and I know I should probably see a dentist, but I'm waiting for my insurance to renew for that.
    Anyway, I started getting into the habit of brushing my tongue because it looks like there's this white residue on it (especially in the way back), which I'm assuming is bacteria and whatnot so I try to brush it away when I can. When ever I do brush it though, the next day it's wicked sore. Almost like I burnt it on something, and it's wicked sensitive to food that I eat ( which is hard because I just had my gallbladder out and eating is terrible).

Is there something I can do, or should I just continue and hope it works itself out??
    My suggestion would be to purchase a tongue scrapper. They are inexpensive and as long as they are used regularly, particularly at or just after the teeth have been brushed, any yellow/white residue will be removed permanently. Contrary to popular belief brushing ones tongue is counter productive. A tongue scrapper, usually metal, will remove far more bacteria and will not damage the skin.

Reply Reply