It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Upset over needing dentures

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #1
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User
    Upset over needing dentures

I've had teeth pulled before but only one every now and then. Now that I have to get 9 extracted, it has left me very depressed. I can't afford implants, and I remember that my dad hated his dentures and took them out often. It's almost like my teeth are friends of mine and I'm mourning having to lose them. I absolutely dread making this appointment!

There really isn't much left to my teeth. I've had almost all of my teeth crowned over the past 30 some years, but over the past 5-8 years I've had various crowns come out (mostly my uppers) and most of the time the tooth ends up broken off inside the crown and my dentist is unable to put the crown back in because of that (there's just not enough there to make it stay on). So my top teeth are either pulled or just sitting there broken off.

One thought that has crossed my mind is maybe it's possible for the dental guy (extractor) to cut them out. I'd much rather be knocked out for this ordeal to be done rather than be awake and have them pulled. I'm afraid I'll end up crying as he rips out one after the other of my teeth. Besides, with there not being much of each tooth there anymore, maybe it would be difficult for him to pull them out. I don't know if they give the patient the option of having them cut out though, and also I don't know if our medical insurance would cover that. I'm only allowed $1000/yr with our regular dental plan to have dental work done and all of this is going to go way past that for the year.

Maybe I'm a big baby but I just dread getting my teeth out. It's so...final. Of course, they always suggest implants, but like I told them, I could buy a new house with what a whole mouth of implants would cost me. I don't doubt that they can afford them though with the prices that they charge. I have no choice but to get dentures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2019, 03:36 AM   #2
    Marilyna
    (female)

Marilyna HB User
    Re: Upset over needing dentures

Hi there,
    Im sorry you're having to go through this, and im sorry you're feeling depressed over it.
    Six years ago at age 50, I had 30 teeth pulled and got full dentures. I went to Affordable Dentures and highly recommend them. They are very inexpensive and do excellent work, since it's their specialty.
    I was awake when mine were pulled and it wasnt too bad. The million shots were the worst part. I had the option of taking Valium, but opted not to. If i did it again, I would take it, so I would be more relaxed. At any rate, the whole thing was over in about 30 minutes.
    Im sorry your dad wasnt able to get proper fitting dentures. Mine fit wonderfully and they are beautiful. I love my teeth. I get compliments on my beautiful teeth often.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marilyna View Post
    Hi there,
    Im sorry you're having to go through this, and im sorry you're feeling depressed over it.
    Six years ago at age 50, I had 30 teeth pulled and got full dentures. I went to Affordable Dentures and highly recommend them. They are very inexpensive and do excellent work, since it's their specialty.
    I was awake when mine were pulled and it wasnt too bad. The million shots were the worst part. I had the option of taking Valium, but opted not to. If i did it again, I would take it, so I would be more relaxed. At any rate, the whole thing was over in about 30 minutes.
    Im sorry your dad wasnt able to get proper fitting dentures. Mine fit wonderfully and they are beautiful. I love my teeth. I get compliments on my beautiful teeth often.
    Thank you so much for your reply. I finally worked up the nerve to schedule a consultation with the dentist (or whatever title he has) who will extract my teeth. Ugh, just hearing that makes me half sick to my stomach. I was hoping that our medical insurance would cover him cutting them out so I wouldn't even have to be awake for the ordeal, but the girl I talked to on the phone didn't think that they would unless I have impacted teeth that have to come out. I'm hoping, though, that they would also cover it if there's not much left to my teeth (therefore making it more difficult for him to get them out and thus having to knock me out).

I thought the gal at my dentist's office said that I'll get 5 extracted and then 2 at a later date, but it's even worse than that...it's 5 and 5. Ugh! Of course, you had even more taken out, which I think was brave of you. It's not so much that I'm worried about what pain I might be in at the time but that I'll never have my own teeth again (uppers anyway), Probably in the not-too-distant future I'll also have to have the bottom ones pulled too. I have those all crowned but one. That one tooth needs some work done on it. Two of my bottom crowns have part of them broken out, and my front two have been gradually eroding away over the past couple years. I've always thought that for what they charge for crowns, the darn things ought to last longer.

If I end up having to get my uppers pulled rather than cut out, I think I will ask for some kind of sedative from the dr because otherwise I'm afraid that I might come out of them crying uncontrollably and I don't want to make a scene. I just hope when I meet this guy next Wednesday that something will click because not caring for him would make my future appointments with him that much worse. I hope that I'll be able to look back on this someday and laugh instead of having the sick feeling in my stomach that I've had ever since last Friday when the dentist told me the bad news of needing an upper denture. Thank you again for caring and sharing your experience.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:09 AM   #4
    berkeley3525
    (male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User

I lost 4 upper old crowns in June (#7,#8, #9 #10). I'll be getting implants. However, I need bone graft first and I'll get the implants in January. The dentist mentioned that I'll only need 2 implants, 2 abutments and 4 crowns. I'm not certain if all 4 crowns will be fused together or 2 fused together x 2. I have insurance and the cost will be $7,934. Of this amount, $1500 will be covered by insurance company so my cost is $6,434.

The reason I mentioned all of this is that its possible you only need a few implants and not 9. I'm paying $1474 for each implant, $673 for each abutment and $910 for each crown.

You really need to consult with more then one dentist that is in your insurance company's network. Many dentists have two year payment plan with no interest. If there is any way you can financially manage implants this is how you should proceed. The dentist provided me with a dental flipper at no cost that I'm using while I wait for the implants.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
    Marilyna
    (female)

Marilyna HB User

Hi there,
    I'm so sorry i didn't check back in on you. I didn't get a notification that I had a response.
    What happened when you went back to the dentist? Have you had the teeth pulled? Hope all is well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply. I finally worked up the nerve to schedule a consultation with the dentist (or whatever title he has) who will extract my teeth. Ugh, just hearing that makes me half sick to my stomach. I was hoping that our medical insurance would cover him cutting them out so I wouldn't even have to be awake for the ordeal, but the girl I talked to on the phone didn't think that they would unless I have impacted teeth that have to come out. I'm hoping, though, that they would also cover it if there's not much left to my teeth (therefore making it more difficult for him to get them out and thus having to knock me out).

I thought the gal at my dentist's office said that I'll get 5 extracted and then 2 at a later date, but it's even worse than that...it's 5 and 5. Ugh! Of course, you had even more taken out, which I think was brave of you. It's not so much that I'm worried about what pain I might be in at the time but that I'll never have my own teeth again (uppers anyway), Probably in the not-too-distant future I'll also have to have the bottom ones pulled too. I have those all crowned but one. That one tooth needs some work done on it. Two of my bottom crowns have part of them broken out, and my front two have been gradually eroding away over the past couple years. I've always thought that for what they charge for crowns, the darn things ought to last longer.

If I end up having to get my uppers pulled rather than cut out, I think I will ask for some kind of sedative from the dr because otherwise I'm afraid that I might come out of them crying uncontrollably and I don't want to make a scene. I just hope when I meet this guy next Wednesday that something will click because not caring for him would make my future appointments with him that much worse. I hope that I'll be able to look back on this someday and laugh instead of having the sick feeling in my stomach that I've had ever since last Friday when the dentist told me the bad news of needing an upper denture. Thank you again for caring and sharing your experience.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi..my husband had all of his teeth pulled out at age 40...he has a family of bad teeth and one by one they were being lost to gum disease... of course at age 40 he was as upset as you are.

He wound up having full dentures and 2 implants. The dentures snap into the implants on the top of his mouth (one on each side) and the bottom ones stay in without any help...

To be honest, he looks fabulous! Its a long process; about a year for the extractions to heal, the bone graft for the implants to heal, the posts to be placed and heal and then finally the finished result- but OMG so worth it.

We live outside a major US city where dental care is very expensive and we had zero dental insurance..it cost us close to 15,000$ from start to finish, but it was worth every dime. He is health again- no longer gets sick from infections and he looks like a movie star with his perfect smile.

Just do it. Once its over, you'll be glad you did.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
    KLN67
    (female)

KLN67 HB User

I am in the same boat..am scared that the only thing i will be able to eat is mash potatoes, oatmeal and grits for the rest of my life..

My dad did not wear his..my husband can't wear his cause he gags when he puts them in..

Reply Reply