It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Signs of Infection Following Root Canal

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
    KateH2b1
    (female)

KateH2b1 HB User
    Question Signs of Infection Following Root Canal

I'm asking this for my 70 y/o auntie. She had a deep gum cleaning in June and was prescribed Amoxicillin. About three days later she started feeling very ill - high temperature, chills, nausea, body aches, and extreme fatigue. The dentist couldn't find anything wrong. She went to see a doctor and he prescribed Doxycycline because there was a possibility she had contracted Lyme disease. After a week or so, the symptoms went away.

Last week she had to have a root canal and the dentist prescribed Amoxicillin (500 mg three times a day). A few days later and she had the same exact symptoms as before. The dentist said to discontinue the Amoxicillin even though she had maybe four days left. She still feels bad, but not as bad as she did a few days ago. It's been a week since the root canal.

Are her symptoms a sign of infection or an intolerance to Amoxicillin? Or something else? I told her she should follow-up with the dentist or call her doctor. An infection isn't something to mess around with. She's never had any problems before with dental procedures and has always been healthy. So this is definitely concerning.

We would like opinions from others who may have experienced this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply