It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Problem with excessive tartar buildup

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Problem with excessive tartar buildup

My dental hygienist tells me that I have excessive tartar buildup because of my body chemistry. She tells me that there's really nothing I can do about it, but I'd like to think there is because getting a cleaning appointment isn't as easy as it used to be anymore.

I'm thinking that certain foods could reduce the buildup, or maybe a not eating certain types of foods would do the trick. Or maybe using certain herbs could change my body chemistry to not make my saliva cause tartar buildup.

I already brush and floss twice a day and use a flouride rinse at night. Not sure what else I can do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Problem with excessive tartar buildup

Where is your tartar build-up specifically?
    You could try different toothbrushes and toothpastes.

Some meds, smoking, vaping, allergies, sinus issues, etc can cause excessive dryness in the mouth.
    Do you have reflux? It could possibly change the PH in the mouth.

If you don't have decay or gum disease or mouth dryness , maybe look at how you brush. Mouth moistening sprays or gels might help as might chewing sugar-free gum.

q

Old 10-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Just book your next appointment when you are there getting them cleaned. That's what I do. Try getting them cleaned more often also...maybe every 4 months instead of 6.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Where is your tartar build-up specifically?
    You could try different toothbrushes and toothpastes.

Some meds, smoking, vaping, allergies, sinus issues, etc can cause excessive dryness in the mouth.
    Do you have reflux? It could possibly change the PH in the mouth.

If you don't have decay or gum disease or mouth dryness , maybe look at how you brush. Mouth moistening sprays or gels might help as might chewing sugar-free gum.

q
    I'm not taking any meds, and don't do the things you suggested could be causes. My hygienist seems to think I'm brushing ok, but says it's due to my body chemistry. I was hoping maybe there was something I could do to either counter that, or change it.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I can only interpret the term chemistry as what's in your saliva. Bacteria that's balanced is most important...so I suggest a probiotic. You could some research as to products, but maybe foods such as plain yogurt and those that are fermented added to your diet might help?

q

Old 11-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #6
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    I can only interpret the term chemistry as what's in your saliva. Bacteria that's balanced is most important...so I suggest a probiotic. You could some research as to products, but maybe foods such as plain yogurt and those that are fermented added to your diet might help?

q
    That might do the trick!
    Also, you asked me before where specifically my tartar buildup was. It's mostly in the front bottom. My hygienist says there's a salivary gland in that area.

You also mentioned chewing sugar-free gum. Well, there was a time for about 6 months that I was doing just that with a gum sweetened with Xylitol, which I heard is supposed to be dental-friendly. When I went in for my next cleaning, my hygienist seemed surprised at how clean my mouth was. It wasn't until later that I put the two together. So then I bought a bag of pure Xylitol sweetener (very expensive) and put some in my mouth and swished it around for about a minute each day for 6 months to see what would happen at my next appointment. The result was disappointing. No change from when I didn't do anything different. Maybe the chewing of gum was a bigger factor the first time than what it was sweetened with.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi...the xylitol gum is helpful like cleaning and producing more saliva. I don't see using it to sit in the mouth as being helpful. It might change the PH...but the point is that it keeps moving saliva around the mouth rather than sitting, especially after eating.

What toothpaste do you use? What kind of toothbrush?

q

Old 11-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Hi...the xylitol gum is helpful like cleaning and producing more saliva. I don't see using it to sit in the mouth as being helpful. It might change the PH...but the point is that it keeps moving saliva around the mouth rather than sitting, especially after eating.

What toothpaste do you use? What kind of toothbrush?

q
    If that's how Xylitol gum works to clean the teeth, do you think that regular gum sweetened with normal sugar or some other substitute would be pretty much as effective?

I use Aim toothpaste and a manual Oral B toothbrush. I use the "extra soft" bristles like the ones my hygienist gives me due to my having a lot of decalcified areas.

Old 11-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would chew non sugar gum. You don't want to add other problems. And you might try an electric toothbrush..I have an Oral B and it really helps

Old 11-07-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User

I have the same problem. Chewing a sugar-free gum really can help. A couple of other things you could try include Chlorhexadine rinse and/or Arginine.
    Long term use of Chlorhexadine can stain teeth - although not permanently. You can get it from your dentist. There are also some mouthwashes that contain it although I don't know which ones. I used it for a month or so then took a break from it before using it again.
    Arginine is an amino acid. You can pick up capsules from the vitamin section of any grocery store. I break open a capsule and put a small amount of it in a cup mixed with warm water and swish. Don't ever try putting it directly in your mouth. It will burn. Duh! Ouch! When I did either of these things, I found the tarter the next morning was almost non-existent.
    I recently bought a water pic and it's having a similar good effect.

Old 11-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The idea of a water pick is a good one. You can try sugar gum, but I think Xylitol would be better.

Maybe try a toothpaste that is geared for stubborn tartar...I use Arm and Hammer Extreme Whitening...seems good.

It's definitely worse if I eat too many sweets.

I have, on occasion, used a cheap generic dental shaped pick and mirror to help rid of some tartar...works.

q

Old 11-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boozjee View Post
    I have the same problem. Chewing a sugar-free gum really can help. A couple of other things you could try include Chlorhexadine rinse and/or Arginine.
    Long term use of Chlorhexadine can stain teeth - although not permanently. You can get it from your dentist. There are also some mouthwashes that contain it although I don't know which ones. I used it for a month or so then took a break from it before using it again.
    Arginine is an amino acid. You can pick up capsules from the vitamin section of any grocery store. I break open a capsule and put a small amount of it in a cup mixed with warm water and swish. Don't ever try putting it directly in your mouth. It will burn. Duh! Ouch! When I did either of these things, I found the tarter the next morning was almost non-existent.
    I recently bought a water pic and it's having a similar good effect.
    Thanks! I will look into those.
    I just did some research online about Arginine and it's effect on tartar, but have only found info on the effect on plaque. Is that what you meant? Tartar is a hardened form of plaque that occurs if it's not removed in about 24 hours (or maybe sooner in my case).

Reply Reply