It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Is all sugar free gum beneficial?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Is all sugar free gum beneficial?

I bought some Sorbitol sweetened gum to chew each day after my recent dental cleaning. I wanted to see if it helps me when my next cleaning appointment comes. So I asked my hygienist if it would help, and she said that Sorbitol gum acts much like sugar gum in that bacteria feeds on it. She said it's also the same for all other sugar free gums except for Xylitol gums. She said that's the only one bacteria is killed by because it can't feed on Xylitol. However, my more recent research on the subject seems to claim otherwise. I've found sites that claim bacteria can't feed on Sorbitol or any other artificial sweetener either.

Which claim is true? I sure hope Sorbitol works just as well because the gums that are sweetened with it are much bigger and have a flavor that lasts longer and are easier and more enjoyable to chew. I bought a bag of Xylitol gum and the pieces are so small and the flavor doesn't last nearly as long. Costs more too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Is all sugar free gum beneficial?

Your mouth has a bacterial ecosystem of both good and bad bacteria. Healthy bacteria work to protect your mouth and limit tooth decay. Harmful bacteria will cause tooth decay but the good bacteria should dominate, providing you don't snack on sugary processed foods between meals. Better yet, don't eat sugary processed food at any time and you'll enjoy better long term health.

Eating a healthy diet will be better for your teeth and gums. Even some sugar free foods can be bad for your teeth, like sugar free soda. And eating processed carbs is like eating sugar. When processed carbs mix with the saliva in your mouth it all turns to sugar while you're chewing.
    So avoid soda, sugary foods and processed carbohydrates.

The one exception is fresh fruit. Fresh fruit contains sugar but is healthful.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Then Sorbitol is really no different than sugar?

Old 12-13-2020, 04:58 AM   #4
    riptoff
    Veteran
    (male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Sorbitol's cariogenicity (decay producing potential) is negligible to zero according to an online search.
    Xylitol has the property of healing small cavities so is the sweetener of choice.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by riptoff View Post
    Sorbitol's cariogenicity (decay producing potential) is negligible to zero according to an online search.
    Xylitol has the property of healing small cavities so is the sweetener of choice.
    Thank you! I guess I'll be going with Xylitol gum from now on.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:19 AM   #6
    riptoff
    Veteran
    (male)

riptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB Userriptoff HB User

Another option is Stevia. This is a plant, Stevia rebaudiana which is available in supermarkets in powder form or you could grow it in your garden.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by riptoff View Post
    Another option is Stevia. This is a plant, Stevia rebaudiana which is available in supermarkets in powder form or you could grow it in your garden.
    Just to be clear on what you said before about Sorbitol not having decay causing potential--Does this mean it could also reduce the amount of decay caused by foods if it's chewed after eating a meal? I was under the impression from what my hygienist said that it would actually have the same effect on the teeth as sugar would.

Reply Reply