It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• pain after wisdom teeth extraction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-27-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
    jen112175

jen112175 HB User
    Unhappy pain after wisdom teeth extraction

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted and then I developed severe pain. I had dry socket. I finally got over that after about two to three weeks. But I noticed that I still had a hard lump on the side of my jaw in the area of the extraction of the left lower side. After taking antibotics for the lump for two weeks they decided they were going to have to go back in the area and clean it out. They told me that it was cysts in that area and there was no way to get rid of this other than having surgery. So I had the surgery 3 days ago and I still haven't noticed any relief to the area and there is still a lump. It feels like I am having a bit of dry socket pain in that area, but not near as severe. What is causing all these problems? I am a healthy person that does not smoke.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
    tryingtofeelgood

tryingtofeelgood HB User
    Re: pain after wisdom teeth extraction

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen112175
    I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted and then I developed severe pain. I had dry socket. I finally got over that after about two to three weeks. But I noticed that I still had a hard lump on the side of my jaw in the area of the extraction of the left lower side. After taking antibotics for the lump for two weeks they decided they were going to have to go back in the area and clean it out. They told me that it was cysts in that area and there was no way to get rid of this other than having surgery. So I had the surgery 3 days ago and I still haven't noticed any relief to the area and there is still a lump. It feels like I am having a bit of dry socket pain in that area, but not near as severe. What is causing all these problems? I am a healthy person that does not smoke.
    It could be an infection - a more serious one. When they clean the area out are they culturing to find out the right antibiotic to use? Cysts are abcesses that hold infection. Ask to have a full blood test done including white blood count and SED rate. Also ask to have panorax xrays done. Hope this helps. Sorry you are in pain. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Old 11-30-2003, 08:33 AM   #3
    CINDYLOUWHO

CINDYLOUWHO HB User
    Re: pain after wisdom teeth extraction

Hi Jen, I don't mean to frighten you, but what is going on with you, sounds identical to what my daughter went thru last year. She had osteomyelitis in her lower left jawbone that had developed after having all 4 of her wisdom teeth extracted. She too developed a lump on her lower left extraction site that was tender to the touch. She went back to the oral surgeon who did the wisdom teeth extraction and he just sent her home with oral antibiotics which seemed to help for a very short period of time, but then the lump and pain soon came back with avengence. She returned again and this time he opened it up and cleaned it up and sent her home with more oral antibiotics. During this time, we did some searches on the internet and found this Healthboard forum (Thank-God). This is where we learned about osteomyelitis. With the knowledge we learned from other people on these boards, who were familiar with osteomyelitis, we took my daughter to Indiana University School of Dentistry where she immediatly got the treatment that is necessary for osteomyelitis(bone infection). This treatment consists of surgery to scrape the bone of dead tissues(debridments) and cultures to determine which antibiotics will work best. Intraveinous(IV) antibiotics(not oral) for a minimum of 6 weeks (my daughter was on IV for 9 weeks) must accompany the debridments. My daughter was only 18 yr. old and also very healthy when she had her wisdom teeth removed and developed this bone infection. If you are still having pain and swelling in the area, please mention osteomyelitis to your doctor and go to someone who is familiar with the proper treatment of it ASAP! Best wishes to you, Cindy

Closed Thread