It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Question about post nasal drip

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2003, 09:02 AM   #1
    NCgirl1986
    (female)

NCgirl1986 HB User
    Question about post nasal drip

I have been suffering from bad breath for years now. I have no social life. I chew about 10 pieces a gum a day to help keep the odor down. Its like a nightmare. I dont know what the problem is. I've tried so many things. But finally I think I have found out what my problem is. I think I have have post nasal drip. I have read that post nasal drip may also cause tonsil stones which i have. And also a white tongue (which stinks). I have all the symptoms. I constantly have to clear my throat. Occasionally (2-3 times a year) I get a sore throat for no apparent reason.

But my question is: Does your nose have to be really stuffy to have post nasal drip? I can breathe out of my nose perfectly fine. But theres always seems to be a little mucous there. Like when I blow my nose, little sprinkles of muscous come out. But on some occasions (maybe once every month) my nose gets really stuffy at night and then seems to goes away in the morning. Also theres always to seems to be a film in my throat. And when i gargle in the morning, it comes up. I was wondering am I diagnosing myself right because seems like the physicians around here are clueless when it comes to this. I hope this is my problem because according to my research, this problem can be easily cured. Fixing this problem will give me so much more confidence and self-esteem. For others suffering from the same thing, I know how terrible it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2003, 08:37 PM   #2
    Tick Tock

Tick Tock HB User
    Re: Question about post nasal drip

Sorry to hear your problems. I think this is a hard thing to "self diagnose." It could be other things too like adnoids or tonsils with a chronic infection.

I would try to find a good Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) doctor and get checked out. They are also know as Otolaryngologists.

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2003, 10:19 PM   #3
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
    Re: Question about post nasal drip

Some pieces of advice.....try the following:

1. Drugs like extra-strength sudafed work to vasoconstrict your nasal passages...try that, and if it helps your symptoms, it is very likely what you have is indeed post nasal drip. The thing is, the sudafed will only work for a few hours....if post nasal drip is the case, there are other things that can be given to help you.

2. I know this sounds gross, but if you were to scratch your "white tongue" you would find that all this white paste would come off under your fingernail....it's all dead bacteria and partially broken down proteins and sugars. You have to either get a tongue cleaner or use your fingernail every morning and scratch this stuff off...BRUSHING YOUR TONGUE IS NOT ENOUGH!!!! You have to actually scratch off this layer. You will be able to see in the mirror when you scratch this, that the underlying pink tongue will be exposed.

3. Your bad breath is probably not the only reason you don't have a social life...I'll bet a lot of it has to do with a self-defeatest attitude. Friends are your friends regardless of your physical qualities. I'll bet you that you have more friends than you know. Just don't let something silly like breath hold you back. Maybe you do have some bad breath (which can easily be dealt with) but I guarantee you that it's not even close to as bad as you think it is....and regardless of what you think it is, it shouldn't interfere with you making friends.

Closed Thread