It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Advice for upcoming extractions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2004, 12:21 AM   #1
    wolflver

wolflver HB User
    Question Advice for upcoming extractions

I've been reading through all the posts concerning immediate dentures and thought I'd post a question or two. I am 27 and within the last 3 years my teeth have become decayed and awful looking. I can't eat a lot of things due to the broken teeth and salt/sugar kill me too. Anyway, I've been to a dentist and he agreed that they all have to come out. I was hoping to save the bottom, but he said it would take quite a few root canals without a quarranty. At this point I'd do anything. I'm tired of recurrent abcesses and my very low self esteem. I've gotten to the point of holding my hand over my mouth to talk to people. Makes it hard to properly do my job. My main question would be "does anyone have any advice on prepping for the full mouth extraction?". I am getting the immediate denture placed also. Any thoughts, tips or info would be great. I'm really looking forward to getting this done even though it'll be painful. The few weeks of pain is worth not getting the abcesses constantly. Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2004, 04:28 AM   #2
    kimmers37

kimmers37 HB User
    Re: Advice for upcoming extractions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolflver
    I've been reading through all the posts concerning immediate dentures and thought I'd post a question or two. I am 27 and within the last 3 years my teeth have become decayed and awful looking. I can't eat a lot of things due to the broken teeth and salt/sugar kill me too. Anyway, I've been to a dentist and he agreed that they all have to come out. I was hoping to save the bottom, but he said it would take quite a few root canals without a quarranty. At this point I'd do anything. I'm tired of recurrent abcesses and my very low self esteem. I've gotten to the point of holding my hand over my mouth to talk to people. Makes it hard to properly do my job. My main question would be "does anyone have any advice on prepping for the full mouth extraction?". I am getting the immediate denture placed also. Any thoughts, tips or info would be great. I'm really looking forward to getting this done even though it'll be painful. The few weeks of pain is worth not getting the abcesses constantly. Thanks for your time.
    Hi:
    My teeth were literally falling out before I decided to seek dental help. I had 4 top teeth and 14 bottom teeth extracted. I was petrified but it wasnt that bad. I was awake and afterwards had no bruising or swelling on my face like the dentist said i might have. I never even was prescribed pain medication, nor did I even need it.I guess I was pretty lucky. And yes I agree the extraction pain is a hell of alot better pain than an abcess or toothache. I had my teeth pulled in January and just got my dentures two days ago( thats a whole new story right now...wont go there) Good luck to you & please keep us posted. Kim

Old 03-21-2004, 06:11 AM   #3
    gossgal

gossgal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolflver

Wolflvr.. Im 25 and geting my teeth removed on thursday 3/25.I really wanted the immediate denture also but my dentist got me to wait as its only temporary and i dont have the extra 2000 to shell out again in 6 months. I can relate to the talking with your hand over your mouth. I think the hardest part im having prepping for the extraction is mental. Im crying alot but i think this is due to the finalization of this surgery. do you have a great support system?The people on here are A-1 in helping.I wish you the best of luck on your long journey but the end results will be a beautiful hollywood smile!....always gossgal

Old 03-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
    kimmers37

kimmers37 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gossgal
    Wolflvr.. Im 25 and geting my teeth removed on thursday 3/25.I really wanted the immediate denture also but my dentist got me to wait as its only temporary and i dont have the extra 2000 to shell out again in 6 months. I can relate to the talking with your hand over your mouth. I think the hardest part im having prepping for the extraction is mental. Im crying alot but i think this is due to the finalization of this surgery. do you have a great support system?The people on here are A-1 in helping.I wish you the best of luck on your long journey but the end results will be a beautiful hollywood smile!....always gossgal
    Gossgal:
    I am happy you decided to do it!!!!! I will be thinking of you on thursday. By the time you get your dentures I should be pretty used to mine ( at least I hope).I can help you through everything pretty good then.((smiles))...Time really goes pretty quickly...keep that chin up & I am always here G/F.Kim

Old 03-21-2004, 09:58 PM   #5
    wolflver

wolflver HB User

Hello there gossgal. Sorry to hear that you'll have to go w/o the immediate dentures. I refuse to get all my teeth pulled and go w/o any for 6 months. Of course the way I look now isn't any better, but I still don't want that. And from all I've been reading they say that the immediate denture helps control the bleeding and swelling. I am going tomorrow to set up all the financial aspects and make my appt for the impressions. I'm going to a place with a on site lab, so once the impressions are done it'll only be about 2 weeks or so till I can get the extractions. I'm very nervous and scared, but am hoping that it'll all be worth it in the end. Can't wait to talk w/o my hand over my mouth or be able to speak up more w/o worrying if everyone is staring at my mouth. The dentist I'm seeing doesn't put you to sleep and that was my biggest fear. I don't really want to be awake. But, I guess I'll have to pysch myself up for it and just do it. I do have a good support system. Everyone is thrilled that I'm finally going. My soon to be fiance has been great. I told him I expect some extra attention and he said that he already planned on it. Good luck on your extractions. I'll keep you posted on how things go. Be sure to post how things go for you. I'm curious to know what all is involved. Good luck again.

wolflver

Old 03-22-2004, 06:28 AM   #6
    gossgal

gossgal HB User

Well wolflvr im glad you have a good man in your life to support you.They are important part of recovery and self esteem. I know it stinks that i have to go 6 weeks with no dentures but im at the point where i havent eaten in 5 days so im praying for thursday! Lets trade places.. my oral surgeon usually puts people to sleep I dont wanna be put to sleep, but im scared to gets the gas also! if they knock me out quick i suppose it will be ok...lol. I will come thrusday or friday and let you know what to expect after surgery. How many are you getting removed?im geting ALOT of course most are all broken off so they arent whole teeth. Ok take care and i'll write about my experience when it happens....always gosgal

Old 03-22-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
    wolflver

wolflver HB User

Gossgal:
    I went to the dentist today and they did the impressions and bite. I hadn't figured on any of that, but I can't complain. Once that was done they told me that I'd have the extractions and dentures placed the 25th of this month! Only a few days away! Same as you, I believe. So, I won't be able to use any of your info on how it was. But, we can share how it is with everyone else. Good luck on Thursday!.............wolflver

Old 03-23-2004, 04:46 AM   #8
    gossgal

gossgal HB User

oh my thats so awesome for you! you are going to look so great. Are you excited?What a quick delivery time hmmm where do yu live?...lol.Well at least we can share stories... that is if we feel like it after our orrdeal. Im sure this wil be the first place i go for support. Im still scared about being put under as im afraid i wont wake up!Are you being put to sleep?Well i cant wait to hear how great you look .I hope you have as pleasent day as can be on thursday.Keep us posted. always...gossgal

Old 03-23-2004, 10:31 AM   #9
    wolflver

wolflver HB User

I am excited but scared out of my mind at the same time. They aren't putting me to sleep, but I would much rather be knocked out. They claim it won't hurt, just will feel pulling. I don't care, I don't want to see them or hear anything. I told my bf that I should take ear plugs and a blind fold with me.LOL. I'm trying to be strong and not such a wimp, but it really isn't working yet. It would help if I knew what to expect. I've never had a tooth extracted before, now I'm having all of them extracted. I just keep telling myself that it is so worth it in the end. I will be able to smile and not be so ashamed. I hope it all goes good for you gossgal. I'll try to post depending on how I feel Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good day!..............wolflver

Old 03-23-2004, 11:19 AM   #10
    gossgal

gossgal HB User

LOL...try bringing ear phones with your fav music.I had one tooth pulled and was put to sleep for that one too but when i woke up it didnt hurt one bit like i expected and that night i ate normal.We are going to be ok. Its all so scary and yet exciting. take care and i'll think of you on thursday...gossgal

Old 03-23-2004, 02:39 PM   #11
    shakin
    (female)

shakin HB User

You two are sooo brave, i shall be thinking of you both on Thursday and wish you both the very best of luck, though I know you won't need it. Try not to think about thursday, just focus on friday when it will be all over. hugs to you both.

Old 03-23-2004, 04:16 PM   #12
    mysticvenus

mysticvenus HB User

I will be thinking about both of you too. You're going to do great!!!!. It really isn't all the terrible. You've probably already dreamed up the worst case scenerio. It won't be as bad as you think. Good luck and let us all know how you are afterward.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:50 PM   #13
    wolflver

wolflver HB User

Thanks everyone for your words of support. This board does seem to help relieve some of the anxiety. I keep telling myself that come Friday I will be on my way to recovery and feeling so much better about myself. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how things go. Is there anyone who can give me a general idea on what to expect? Thanks..........wolflver

Old 03-24-2004, 06:34 AM   #14
    mysticvenus

mysticvenus HB User

Wolf:

I think that everybody's experience is a little different but I will tell you about mine. I arrived at the oral surgeons, was taken to a treatment room. They placed monitors on my ankles and wrists. The surgeon came in and started an i.v. The next thing I remember is waking up in my own bed at home. My dentures were in and there was gauze between my teeth. I did continue to bleed for about 4 hours afterwards but I had 24 teeth pulled and 3 of them required surgical removal. I slept for most of the rest of the day until about 8:00 p.m. I was awake then and talking. The next day I sent to the regular dentist and he took my teeth out, looked at my gums and put my teeth back in. I stayed on pain pills for about three days and then was taking them only at night. I went back to the surgeon after one week for a check up. The first two weeks eating consisted of mainly liquid and soft foods, pudding, jello, yogurt, etc. I had my surgery done on a Monday and took off the whole week. I really could have gone back to work Thursday or Friday of that week. Hope this answers at least some of your questions. The first six hours after surgery are really the tough part. I slept through most of it.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:56 AM   #15
    wolflver

wolflver HB User

Mysticvenus:
    Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately my dentist won't put me to sleep. They just want to do the local or whatever is they do. That's what really sucks. They are pulling all that I have(none were ever removed) so I think I'm in for some "fun". I'm taking a week or so off too so I can recuperate. I know that I'll live through it, but it's still very scary and my nerves are about shot. I'm sure it's gonna be fine though. Thanks again for your info.
    wolflver

Closed Thread