It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Can my retainer save me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
    Afteraccu

Afteraccu HB User
    Can my retainer save me?

Please someone who has any idea on this help me out here. I had braces for 2 years and my teeth came out beautiful. I wore my retainers for a while and then I got lazy and stopped. I would get paranoid that my tooth would foul up again and I would wear them again but in the past few months I lost my bottom one and bent my top one. My teeth HAVE spaced and don't look as good, I have made an appointment with the ortho to fix the retainers and hopefully wearing them consistently can reset my teeth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2004, 04:57 AM   #2
    jrm4337122

jrm4337122 HB User
    Re: Can my retainer save me?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Afteraccu
    Please someone who has any idea on this help me out here. I had braces for 2 years and my teeth came out beautiful. I wore my retainers for a while and then I got lazy and stopped. I would get paranoid that my tooth would foul up again and I would wear them again but in the past few months I lost my bottom one and bent my top one. My teeth HAVE spaced and don't look as good, I have made an appointment with the ortho to fix the retainers and hopefully wearing them consistently can reset my teeth.
    hi , yes some stight tooth movement can be done with retainers , however you will have to get new retainers for that ,

Old 04-04-2004, 03:07 AM   #3
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Maybe ask the dentist to put in a permanent retainer. It is placed on the back of your teeth and cannot be seen. then, you won't have to worry about forgetting to put them in.

Chantel

Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
    3.5 stooge
    (male)

3.5 stooge HB User
    YIKES!! Can my retainer save me?

Hi. I had braces for quite some time (about 5 years), as well as various orthondontic procedures. I finally got my braces off in the summer of 2002, and had 2 retainers. I wore it just like my orthondist said for about 2 years. It has been a year since I have worn them...I was depressed and lazy, and I just gave up, and even worse I lost them when I moved! Recently, my girlfriend has noticed that my front teeth are somewhat out of alignment (they have moved althought not TERRIBLY). The problem is I am afraid to see the orthondist since I might have to get braces again!!! HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS SCENARIO, AND WILL THE DOCTOR GIVE ME NEW RETAINERS, OR WILL I HAVE TO GET BRACES...AGAIN?

Old 09-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #5
    vuitton
    (female)

vuitton HB User

I wore retainers 20 years ago to straighten my front teeth, and wore them to sleep every night for 10 years. Then I got so sick of them, and did not wear them for the next 10 years. Now I'm back wearing them (a new pair) 24/7, until my teeth are perfect again.
    So I guess its not done deal, we always have to wear them...

Old 09-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweety-b
    Wow, you sound like me! I used my retainers for a while until they slid in so perfectly over my teeth--that ment it had done its job so I stopped wearing them.

2 yrs later, I find that my teeth are spacing again, so I'm wearing my retainers again, on and off though I know, I should know better!

I was wondering, when my dentist told me that I need to wear my retainers for life, where they telling the truth, or where they trying to scare me into paying to see them for life-long visits??
    Hi

No hun, they weren't lying to you. You will have to wear your retainer for the rest of your life if you want to keep your teeth straight. You may want to ask about getting a permanent retainer.

Chantel

Closed Thread