It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• Great dental work in Thailand at low cost

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
    weho

weho HB User
    Great dental work in Thailand at low cost

I've had quite a bit of dental work done in Thailand, in truly world-class facilities, at about 1/4 to 1/6 the cost of what a dentist charges in the U.S. You can EASILY "pay for a trip to Thailand" just with the savings on what you would pay in the US.

In Thailand, reputable dentists work out of hospitals. In the large hospitals, the waiting rooms are filled mostly with Westerners and Japanese people looking for quality dental work at affordable prices.

A few examples of prices, (these are rough recollections):
    filling: US price, about $100, Thailand about $20
    dental bonding: US price, about $200, Thailand price about $25 per tooth
    dental cleaning: US price, about $50, Thailand price about $10
    teeth whitening: US price, about $500, Thailand price about $100
    porcelain veneers: US price, about $1,200, Thailand price about $150-$250

Airfare to Thailand is about $700; first class hotels can be had for $30 - $70 a night.

I've had quite a bit of this done, and several years later, no problems of any kind.

I'm told some people go to Mexico in first class clinics with similar results.

Last edited by Well-come; 04-08-2004 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Removed website with advertising. Please re-read board guidelines.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
    Soland5

Soland5 HB User
    Re: Great dental work in Thailand at low cost

I don't think I would travel out of the US. Healthcare in the US is so great, I wouldn't trust my health in another country. But thanks for the info.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
    weho

weho HB User

That's what I thought, until I was faced with the choice of paying $10,000 to fix some cosmetic problems on my teeth, in the US, which I couldn't afford, or paying $2,000 to do it in Thailand. Your mindset, that ONLY healthcare is acceptable in the US is rather elitist and untrue. Many of the Thai dentists were trained in the U.S., if that's any comfort. The fact that so many Westerners are in the waiting room, who are REPEAT patients, time and time again, should indicate the satisfaction most have. I'm not so sure I would want to have a heart transplate in Bangkok, but cosmetic dentistry isn't that big a deal. And for those that don't have health insurance, the choice may be to do nothing about the problem in the U.S., and let the problem get more serious, perhaps life-threatening, OR go to someplace you CAN afford to do the work/treatment, and get it done.

And by the way, the only place I have seen truly state-of-the-art equipment, chairs, x-raying machines, etc. was in Thailand. In the US, most dentists have equipment that seems to be at least ten years old or more in some cases.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
    rachelphoebe

rachelphoebe HB User

I have to agree that you can get good dental care outside the US. I had a root canal and crown done in Taiwan 3 years ago, and no problems whatsoever. I had a root canal done in the US 6 months ago, which failed and put me through tremendous pain.

But you do have to be careful...I would NEVER EVER get any dental work done in Japan EVER again! I suffered so much at the hands of Japanese dentists! Many of them seem to think that you are
    supposed to feel pain during dental procedures. I walked out in the middle of a root canal, that the dentist insisted on doing WITHOUT ANESTHETIC! I was crying and he wouldn't stop! So I left! The went through much pain again, at another dental office, who basically told me that it's my fault because I'm sensitive to pain!

Before getting dental work done overseas, you should do your research!

Old 06-12-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
    Wiita

Wiita HB User

While I would not go to Thailand because of the distance, I am seriously considering
    Mexican dentists. I am in need of much dental work and the cost in the U.S. is
    beyond belief.

Has anybody dealt with a REPUTABLE Mexican dentist, particularly in the Brownsville,
    Texas area. Or how can I find one who is reputable. I live in North Florida and this
    is a big decision for me. But if Mexican dentisty should prove cost effective and
    reliable, I would certainly be willing to go there.

By the way, I agree that to believe that only America has the best dentists is
    absolute fiction. I know there are bad dentists in Mexico, but I also know there
    are bad dentists in the U.S. as well.

I would appreciate any information anyone might be able to give me.

Thank you.

Old 06-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
    martid
    Inactive

martid HB User

Hey Wiita, if you live in Florida, costa Rica is a better solution, and they do have reputable costmetic dentists there trained in the US in US medical school but have choosen to practice in their own country in order not to have to put up with the mass of paper work and overhead and ins. cost nececessary to practice in the US. Marti

Old 06-14-2004, 02:56 PM   #7
    Wiita

Wiita HB User

Many thanks for the information about dental work in Costa Rica. I have
    sent off a number of e-mails to dental clinics there, but I haven't received
    any replies.
    If anyone has any direct experience with Costa Rican dentists or with any
    good dentists within reasonable flying distance from North Florida, please
    let me know.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
    martid
    Inactive

martid HB User

Dr Mario Garita in San Jose, Costa Rica has a very impressive resume. He attended dental school in Florida, and I think he still teaches there. I have not checked on that yet, buy you could. He specializes in dental implants, but also does general dentistry. Do some research as you should if you were checking out any other doctor, give them a call and ask for references from people here in the US. I am seriously thinking of getting some restorations done there this winter as it will make a wonderful vacation at the same time. Good luck in your search Marti

Old 06-15-2004, 04:41 AM   #9
    Wiita

Wiita HB User

Marti -

Many thanks for the good information!

Mary W.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:24 PM   #10
    sinus_hell
    (male)

sinus_hell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rachelphoebe

But you do have to be careful...I would NEVER EVER get any dental work done in Japan EVER again! I suffered so much at the hands of Japanese dentists! Many of them seem to think that you are
    supposed to feel pain during dental procedures. I walked out in the middle of a root canal, that the dentist insisted on doing WITHOUT ANESTHETIC! I was crying and he wouldn't stop! So I left! The went through much pain again, at another dental office, who basically told me that it's my fault because I'm sensitive to pain!

Before getting dental work done overseas, you should do your research!

I lived in Japan for 7 years . . . I never had such poblems with dentists.
    Always the novacane, and dental work was almost free with their standard gov healthcare system.

Old 06-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #11
    rachelphoebe

rachelphoebe HB User

Did you live in Tokyo? Maybe there you could find a good dentist, but I NEVER had a good experience at the dentist in Japan, or the doctor, either.
    I lived in a smaller town...
    It seemed like they didn't want to use painkillers, maybe because of the healthcare system, the govt makes them try to save money.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #12
    zak
    Inactive
    (male)

zak HB User

Do they do implants there? Can you recommend a clinic, dentist?

Old 07-14-2004, 04:18 AM   #13
    carey2037

carey2037 HB User

Hey guys! I'm currently living in Tokyo and planning a trip to Thailand. I agree that I would never get dental work done in Japan. I takes about three or four visits just to get a filling done...crazy. But as for Thailand, any names of clinics or dentists? Do they do implants? Is Bangkok the place to go?

Closed Thread