It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• abcess help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
    fosters

fosters HB User
    abcess help

i've recently been having trouble with the left side of my face hurting. i've had extreme pain and pressure in my jaw. my dentist took an x-ray that shows something going on under one particular tooth. he also gave me an antibiotic to prevent an abcess from forming.

Anyway, I am currently experiencing extreme pressure in my lower jaw. I've been taking vicodin and motrin. i get about an hour relief with each dose but, the pressure still comes back. of course it's saturday and I can't get in to see anyone.

I'm looking for any advice on releasing the pressure or relieving the pain. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #2
    brwneyez9
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brwneyez9 HB User
    Re: abcess help

The tooth that is giving you the pain, is there a bubble on the gums that feels like you could pop it. If there is you could take a needle and put a pin hole it and release some of the infection which would help relieve the pressure. good luck.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
    Jennifer8216
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennifer8216 HB User

DO NOT TRY TO LANCE AN ABCESS YOURSELF!

Anyone suggesting that is totally out of line! I have never heard any professional tell a patient to do that in 10 years.

There is a massive amount of bacteria released into your system if you were to do that. If you did, please every hour rinse with warm salt water and spit. Do not swallow any of it.

The only thing that will relieve the pressure is taking the antibiotics. You said you had a prescription, but didn't say if you were taking it. The pain pills are just a quick fix, and not a cure. Once the infection is taken care of, the pain will leave, but will take about 24 hours to get that medicine in you. Get that started right away.

The doctor can also open up that tooth and allow the tooth to drain in the office.

Once that has happened, you can either have a root canal done or extraction.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #4
    Momster

Momster HB User

Listen to what JenniferWalker says. I suffered through four abcesses without antibiotics or anything stronger than Motrin and waited for them to basically drain themselves...which they did. The result? I will be having all of my uppers pulled in the next month or so and receiving a full upper denture in their place.

Just take the antibiotics religiously, take motrin or other pain medications, rinse with warm salt water and stay in touch with your dentist.

Are you feeling any better today?

Old 04-30-2004, 04:44 AM   #5
    mank

mank HB User

My son has had an abscessed tooth before and he happens to have one now. Before the dentist will usually do anything he will put you on antibotics, then have you come back.

Looks like he will be getting it pulled. he happens to be on antibotics right now for being sick so maybe when we go to the dentist onMonday he will pull it and we won't have to wait.

Good Luck to you.

Oh and does anyone know what some of the symptons are of having a abcessed tooth?
    My son is complaining his head hurts after getting up from sitting down or laying down.
    Also, he has had fever and painess in that side of the mouth.

Thanks!

MANK

Old 04-30-2004, 05:12 AM   #6
    ian27
    (male)

ian27 HB User

Hi Mank,

I get a fever with an abscess flair up. I get kind of hot and cold and just feel generally unwell. Usually once the antibiotics kick in this feeling diminishes.

Ian

Old 04-30-2004, 05:23 AM   #7
    knorr
    (female)

knorr HB User

I have used Biotene or Peroxyl mouthwash when I've had an abscess in the past. I've put it on a cotton ball and placed it over the abscess several times a day - this has worked for me in the past when I've had a flare up over the weekend or holiday when I wasn't able to see the dentist right away.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
    mank

mank HB User
    Wink Re: abcess help

I know abscessed tooth means infection and like I said when he had the last one it was a bad one right in the front of his mouth. He is 10 year now. That happened around 7 years of age.
    Well, he is on antibotics already... since Monday and he goes for 7 days on this one, and yes, he gets chills and hot flashed as well.
    Last night he was really sweating it out.
    I sent him to school today with Orajel and told him to try and make the day as he will be out Monday more then likely if they pull it.

MANK

Closed Thread