It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• My baby teeth never fell out! Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
    Worrytomuch

Worrytomuch HB User
    My baby teeth never fell out! Help!

I recently went to an orthadontist to look into getting invisalign. Well, to my surprise I found out that 2 of my baby teeth are still in tact and the adult teeth are in the roof of my mouth (possibly rotted by now).
    I went to the dentist every six months up until I turned 18 and my dental insurance expired. I'm so mad that my dentist never realized I had teeth that needed to be pulled. To make matters worse, both teeth are right in the upper front of my mouth.

The dentist told me that I should have the baby teeth removed and get braces to pull down the adult teeth. However, there are no garantees that the adult teeth will stay because their roots may already be too weak. So basically I'm left not knowing what to do. I don't have dental insurance either :-(

Has anyone ever had a situation like this? Do you think I could maybe just leave the baby teeth in and have the adult teeth removed? I don't want to big gaps in my mouth and braces at this point in my life. Especially when after all that, the teeth may fall out anyway.
    If anyone has any advise I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Worrytomuch:
    janbird (09-25-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
    fyrelight74
    Inactive

fyrelight74 HB User
    Re: My baby teeth never fell out! Help!

I had retained my baby canine teeth until I was 27... my adult canines were in the roof of my mouth as well. I had the surgery, had braces, and now, I'm getting my braces off next month! Go for it! Surprisingly, it is pretty common. 2% of the population has an impacted canine. They have very good results with them nowadays. Dont' be afraid to do the treatment! It's definitely worth it!

Old 06-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
    Lori_b

Lori_b HB User

My daughter has had several baby teeth that the dentist advised were not out at the appropriate time and were causing problems with the permanents coming in. She is only 13 though and we worked for months to get those baby teeth finally gone (she's sort of a wimp).

Surprisingly, a year or so before, we had been to three different orthodontists to evaluate her teeth that were becoming increasingly crooked. Two of the orthodontists swore we should start immediate treatment and plan for braces. One said, lets wait. As of this time, after the baby teeth have all been disposed of, her teeth have all straightened out on their own. I know she has further changes to undergo, but we are all glad we waited.

From my personal experience, it would not be the end of the world if the permanent teeth were not able to be saved. When I was a child, in order to avoid braces because of the small size of my mouth, they removed one lateral tooth on each side, both top and bottom (baby teeth) then at the same time, went up into the gum and removed the permanent tooth. The space was closed and nobody but the dentist has ever been able to tell.
    Because of the lack of space in my mouth, I didn't require braces and the space closed on it's own, so in your case the space may need assistance with braces or an appliance, but all is not lost. You will be fine. Good luck!!

Lori

Old 06-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
    Worrytomuch

Worrytomuch HB User

Thanks for the advise!

Fyre, are your adult teeth still healthy after being in the roof of your mouth for so long? My concern is that I will pull the baby teeth out (which seem pretty strong) and the roots of my adult teeth will be too weak to keep them in tact. I'm 24, and my dentist said that the x-ray shows that the root of one of my adult teeth may already be decaying. Also, can you tell me a little more about your treatment, because it sounds like I have the same situation that you did? How do braces pull the adult teeth down? Are they just regular braces? How long did it take? Did you need your baby teeth pulled, and did they seem strong or were they loose?

Lori, I never thought about just rearranging my teeth to cover up the gaps. I'm not sure if it would work with 2 missing teeth. I know I can always get implants, but they are sooo expensive :-(

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!

Old 06-08-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
    Worrytomuch

Worrytomuch HB User

One more question for Frye,

Can you tell me around how much it cost you? I don't have dental insurance so that is also an issue for me... Thanks!

Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
    fyrelight74
    Inactive

fyrelight74 HB User

Well, my baby teeth were strong and still had some roots, but I knew they would eventually come out, as we're not meant to have them all our lives. They also were more yellow than my adult ones, and were too short. My adult teeth were up above in the roof of my mouth, and you could see them on x-rays. They had good roots, and are very strong and healthy today. Your smile will look so much better with normal sized adult canines. There is a slight chance that they won't come down properly, but nowadays that chance is minimized.

How they use the braces... You have regular braces.. I picked the ceramic ones, but metal ones work too. They do surgery, go in and find those teeth, and glue brackets on them. Those brackets have a loop, and tied to that loop will be a gold chain. That gold chain they tie to your archwire on your braces, very tightly. Every month, the chain will come down a bit, and they will cut off a link or two of the chain. This brings the teeth down. You don't want it to go too fast, or you risk root resorption, so they basically try to move maybe 1-3 mm a month. After time, the teeth will poke through the gums, and they stick a normal bracket on it, and it connects to your archwire. The archwire continues to bring the teeth down until they are in line with your other teeth. I personally have met 2 other people online who have had this done, with NO problems.

Cost.. well, I have insurance. It's basically the normal price of braces in your area, (which varies depending on what state you live in, and which ortho you pick), plus the price of the exposure surgery. You can usually get free consultations at most orthos, and so you can ask them how much braces will be. The exposure surgery is done by an oral surgeon, but you can call those and ask them how much they charge for exposure surgery. I had mine done under local anesthesia, but many have it done under sedation.. it's up to how comfortable you feel with it. My insurance covered it, so I'm not sure how much it costs, either. You might want to get some dental insurance... sometimes that can take off half the price of the braces. Oh, and most orthos let you pay it out like $99 a month or something reasonable like that.

My advice, go to a few orthos and get some opinions... see what they say about your situation. Don't trust just a dentist for ortho opinions... my dentist said I'd probably need some other teeth pulled to make enough room for the big adult ones. My ortho said no, and he was right. Your dentist is good for your general health of your teeth, but you need an ortho's opinion. Hey, it's free, usually! Can't hurt, right? Just call around and ask if they give free consultations.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-23-2004 at 08:49 AM.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:27 AM   #7
    Worrytomuch

Worrytomuch HB User

Thank you so much for the info!
    I absolutly HATE the idea of having braces at this point in my life :-(
    But I guess it's really my only option. How long did you have them on for?

Old 06-08-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
    Lori_b

Lori_b HB User

Maybe I didn't explain that right, I had two permanent on top removed, one on each side and two on bottom, one on each side - total of 4.

Sorry if that caused confusion.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #9
    fyrelight74
    Inactive

fyrelight74 HB User

Well, everyone's teeth move differently. I had some crookedness to fix too, so it took longer. I got them in Sept 2001. They had to straighten some crooked teeth first and had some insurance issues, so I didn't get the surgery until May 2002. They were finally down all the way like February 2004. The last few months have been finalizing, and they'll be off July 2004. If your teeth are straight, you could get the surgery much earlier than I did, plus you are younger, and they will move faster. I'd say you'd probably only be in them like 18 months. And with the new ceramic braces like I have, no one can even tell you have them on from a distance. If you get a consult from an ortho, they will tell you how long they think you will need them, etc.

The only other options, really, are implants (mucho $$$) or bridges ... personally, I wanted to keep my natural teeth if I could, instead of going that route. Plus, most dentists will NOT leave those adult teeth in the roof of your mouth since they can damage your other teeth, so you'll end up with surgery to remove them anyway, so in my opinion, I wanted surgery to expose them instead of just ripping them out and forcing me to get implants or bridges. As far as keeping your baby teeth, I've heard they won't last past your 30s usually, so if you do leave them in, they will eventually probably fall or rot out anyhow, and you'll be back at the same decision place. If you know you're going to get insurance in the next 6 months or so, you might wait, but I wouldn't wait too long if I were you. Teeth move slower as you age!

[Removed information to chat on another site. Please re-read board guidelines. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 06-08-2004 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Removed directions to reach someone and chat.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
    Worrytomuch

Worrytomuch HB User

Thanks again for all of your advise. It makes a lot of sense. I'm going to look into those ceramic braces. I am going to be starting teaching within the next year and I really don't want to have a mouth full of metal. I'm afraid of 6th graders making fun of me!!! hahaha

Old 06-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #11
    fyrelight74
    Inactive

fyrelight74 HB User

Did you get an appointment for a consult yet?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:24 AM   #12
    metoo12
    (female)

metoo12 HB User

I went through the same exact thing as you. I went to the Orthodontist yesterday so that I could get Invisalign braces and he told me to my surprise that I had a baby canine tooth. He told me that he was going to my braces on first and then send me to an oral surgeon to remove not only the baby tooth but my four impacted wisdom teeth. I thought that sounded backwards, get your braces on before you have your teeth removed! I thought not only would that make it unnecessarily difficult for the oral surgeon but very uncomfortable for me. I started to do research on this because I wanted to make sure what the orthodontist told me is correct and that he wasn't just trying to make an extra buck. I came across your question. I am so glad that I found this, you have really put my mind at ease and I am actually looking forward to getting my braces and teeth pulled so that I will be that much closer to having a prettier smile. Thank you again!!!

April

Old 01-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #13
    Tattooall
    Inactive
    (female)

Tattooall HB User

I have an impacted adult eye tooth (bottom left) which my old dentist wanted to remove but I went to a new dentist yesterday after the previous dentist refused to treat me for a cavity! My new dentist told me that I don't need to remove the baby tooth and get the braces to pull the adult one into place. Maybe it depends on the placement of your tooth, but he said that mine is a-ok and nothing to worry about. I knew I never lost this tooth, that it still is a baby one but you can't that it is unless I pointed it out. If the tooth was causing me harm it would have to come out but he said that everything is fine, with that tooth and my wisdom teeth.

Also, I just remembered. He said that if I were going to have ortho work done then yes, the adult tooth would most likely be pulled into place but since I don't need/want ortho work then the baby tooth can stay where it is and in the event that is does come out naturally some day down the road (I am 22) then we can discuss getting an implant or braces. So I bet if those of you who are getting the invisalign, if you were just leaving your teeth as is then you could probably get away with keeping the tooth where it is unless it is causing big complications.

Anyway, good luck to you all. I hope all procedures go off worry free!

Last edited by Tattooall; 01-06-2006 at 07:49 AM.

Closed Thread