It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• How many extractions at once is too much ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2004, 05:15 PM   #1
    sinus_hell
    (male)

sinus_hell HB User
    How many extractions at once is too much ?

Well, getting 6 teeth extracted all in one sitting.
    Which should hopefully help resolve all the sinus problems i've
    had for the last 2-3 years.

Am I nervous, quaking in my boots ? You betchya !

The 6 teeth are the 4 wisdom teeth, and 2 others on the left side.
    1 upper, 2 back from the eye tooth, and a moler on the bottom 3rd from the back.

ok, so here's a few questions ?

Is 6 extractions a lot ?
    How long does it take ?

I think I have to take a pill 1 hour before makes you sleepy.
    I really wanted to be unconcious to have this done, but it's going to cost
    2 & 1/2 times as much, with anethatist and hospital bed etc...

What's the worst part of the experience ?
    Has anyone else had that many extracted in one sitting ?
    And oh god i'm gonna be concious while he pulls the buggers out.

Please kill my anxiety !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 04:48 AM   #2
    sim884

sim884 HB User
    Re: How many extractions at once is too much ?

Well I had 13 pulled in one sitting. It took about two hours to have a deep cleaning done, 13 extracted, immediates placed. SO for 6 it shouldnt take long at all. I have heard quite a few on here having 20 or so pulled. Dont fret the mind is its own worst enemy lol. I didnt feel a thing. Took pain pills for a couple of days and wait on the swelling to go down other than that no worries. good luck, you can always post here for advice or a place to vent. Great people here!

Old 06-16-2004, 06:10 AM   #3
    ljason

ljason HB User

I am having 14 extracted at one time but I will be put to sleep.. I went to one dentist and he wanted to pull 2 or 3 at a time and let it heal and then come back in a couple of weeks.. So I found a dentist that is going to put me to sleep for 4 hours and do all my dental work at once.. He is going to clean them good, extract 14 and do all the fillings.. I am going for the impressions for the bottom partial and top retainer and bleach tray today and will wait 2 or 3 weeks for the partial to come back and then get it all over with.. Dentist make me very nervous and I really hate paying 700 dollars to be put to sleep but I would never get it done any other way..I heard that pill is great and you will not care about anything... I know one person on here a couple of months ago that had 28 removed and it took less than 2 hours so six teeth should not take you long at all..The waiting for the appt. is the worst of all..If you will go back and read past post you will see where people are saying how scared they are and then after the appt they will write and say that it was no big deal... So keep your head high and try to focus on something else and not dwell on it or you will drive yourself nuts...

Old 06-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
    sinus_hell
    (male)

sinus_hell HB User

Thanks for your wonderful posts.
    It really helps me to keep up my confidence.
    I know that the mind is my worst enemy, and you're right,
    It's the waiting that's killing me most of the time.

btw : what's a deep cleaning consist of ?
    How do they clean when all your gums are bleeding and jammed up with swabs?

I'll try not to drive myself nuts

Old 06-16-2004, 02:12 PM   #5
    sim884

sim884 HB User

they did a deep cleaning on my bottom teeth before they extracted my top ones. I dont know exactly what all they did, Didnt feel a thing. I do know that I had serious plaque build up at the gum line (dark brown). Now it is all gone YEAAA!!!! Hope this helped some.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 AM   #6
    sinus_hell
    (male)

sinus_hell HB User

Always helps, all your comments.

Thanks very much

Old 06-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
    Tracey1969

Tracey1969 HB User

Just wondering about your sinus hell? I have had many problems with my sinuses the last few years and have had 2 teeth extracted because of root resorption. Just curious more about what the sinuses have to do with the teeth?
    Thanks

Old 06-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #8
    sinus_hell
    (male)

sinus_hell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tracey1969
    Just wondering about your sinus hell? I have had many problems with my sinuses the last few years and have had 2 teeth extracted because of root resorption. Just curious more about what the sinuses have to do with the teeth?
    Thanks
    Well i have problems breathing and sometimes get extreme pain.
    When I wake up especially, half my head is numb and I am congested 24/7 365 days, like a head cold but it never goes away.

The top teeth are especially close to the sinuses and any infections/absess such as above the teeth will most certainly affect those areas.

I'm having the surgery on thursday, to get rid of these infected teeth.
    I believe this will solve my problems when the healing is over, There is too much evidence to suggest otherwise and it's taken since January to have a competent professional diagnose the problem.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:36 PM   #9
    Tracey1969

Tracey1969 HB User

Thanks for getting back to me. Good luck with your surgery on Thursday.
    I'm sure you will feel much better afterwards. I have similar syptoms like you but not 365 24/7 more like anytime I get a cold is goes into my teeth and sinuses. I noticed my left sinus is worse and it's by these metal plates in my jaw and may all be connected. I've been on a waitlist since last November and looks like I'll have to wait for the surgery till November this year. That's cause it's considered elective. Anyway, let us know how you make out.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:51 AM   #10
    ljason

ljason HB User

Kdoswald
    You were able to drive yourself to the dentist? wow my dentist told me I would know much of nothing till the next day.. I am coming in close to you w/ 14 extractions in the next month..How long was you in pain? I keep kids for a living do you think w/ help from my grandmother I will be able to keep kids three days later? Do you have any advice on having so many pulled at one time? One more question did you get a partial ? I will wake up w/ my bottom partial in and I will not get the top one till next year after I wear a retainer for 9 months.
    Thanks
    Lee

Old 06-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #11
    bossbabyjr

bossbabyjr HB User
    Post Re: How many extractions at once is too much ?

Hey that's weird that you're getting six teeth out b/c I am too! It's happening in 4 days and I'm getting more and more nervous about it. Last night I dreamt about it. It's 4 wisdom and two top adult teeth that need to be removed for braces (which i already have on) Reading these posts really help, especially the one about not worrying before hand, because when you're done you wonder why you were so worried. That's too bad that you aren't being put under for it, but you won't feel anything i'm sure... if you do just tell them and they will give you more stuff. I'm not really worried about the pain afterwords, i'm mostly worried about being put to sleep... that really freaks me out and i've never had it done before. Well, i'm up for any ideas or comments that anyone has ttys - T

Old 06-24-2004, 05:49 PM   #12
    Nance77
    (female)

Nance77 HB User

Hi
    Well I have been to an oral surgeon today, and I also need a tooth removed..Its a top back molar, and its not impacted or anything, but he said the tooth is dead and causing an infection that has been draining thru the gum...I am very scared as I have never had a tooth pulled before..Like both of you I am more scared of the IV sedation than anything else...He said he could do it with just a local, but he said since I am so nervous the IV would be the best...Does anyone know anything about it? I have had general anesthesia many times in the hospital for different surgeries with no problem, but the way he explained this you are not really totally out...Its a combo of a type of drug like valium (dont remember the name) and something that begins with an F, he said is a pain medication...I am afraid of not waking up and coming out of it, and being home and not knowing where I am!
    If anyone has any info that has had it done, please post if you can and let me know...The girls in the office were all swearing it was great...It will cost $300 with this and only $85 with just the local, but I dont really care about the money, I just want to be comfortable...Are there any bad reactions you can have to this drug combo in the IV?
    Thanks!

Old 06-27-2004, 09:37 PM   #13
    bossbabyjr

bossbabyjr HB User
    Exclamation Re: How many extractions at once is too much ?

Ugh, i'm pretty nervous about my surgery in 9 hours... but i know it will be ok. I'm just freaked out that I won't wake up after they are done w/ everything. BUT I HAVE TO STOP WORRYING!!!! jeeeeeez what is wrong with me?? lol, okay i'm sure everything will be fine and i will post more tomorrow if i'm not too tired. -T

Old 06-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #14
    dely1112

dely1112 HB User

bossbabyjr: It will be too late by the time you read this to know we're wishing you well - but I hope everything went well for you today. There is nothing at all wrong about being nervous - I'm sure most (if not all) of us were. It's just that it so much easier to talk about it AFTERWARD
    Let us know how you're doing, Okay!
    Take care,
    Debbi

Old 06-28-2004, 08:14 PM   #15
    bossbabyjr

bossbabyjr HB User
    Smile Re: How many extractions at once is too much ?

Hi, thanks so much for the good wishes Well as it turns out, the part that I was most nervous about was the EASIEST part! They had trouble finding a vein, but when they found it they sprayed a cold substance on it to dull the sting of the needle. I don't even remember falling asleep, but when I woke up I was in a different room and my mom was sitting with me My whole face was numb, and I was really out of it. When the numbness wore off later, the pain was pretty bad, but I just took the pain killers they gave me, and it was just about all better!! I have 4 prescriptions: 1 for pain killers, 2 for antibiotics, and 1 for an oral rinse. They told me I can't spit or drink through a straw today. They also said the swelling will increase until Thursday!!! I can't imagine my cheeks being any bigger than they are now, the skin is stretched pretty far, lol. I feel like a chipmonk!! But anyway, the surgery was successful, and that's all that matters. Don't hesitate to ask me anything, i'll try to help -T

Closed Thread