It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• My retainer makes me want to gag :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
    Emma1983
    (female)

Emma1983 HB User
    My retainer makes me want to gag :(

After wearing braces for 3 years and 9 months, I got them off last Thursday, and my teeth look great!

After I got my braces removed, my orthodontist bonded this retainer inside my top and bottom teeth...its really just a strip of wire, hidden behind my teeth. I've got to have that glued in my mouth for 5 years.

This afternoon my orthodontist fitted an upper removeable retainer, that i'm supposed to wear full time for 3 months...then during the night after that for a few months more. The problem is, when I wear it, it makes me gag! Has anybody had this problem before? Do you get used to it? I feel really uncomfortable when its in my mouth

Any advice would really be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 04:49 AM   #2
    ljason

ljason HB User
    Re: My retainer makes me want to gag :(

I will be getting a retainer soon myself.. I have not been in your shoes before but I have read that people that have a problem putting their top denture in sprays chloreseptic spray in their mouth before they put it in to numb the gag area.. Maybe someone has done this and will post to give you more directions.. Good luck

Old 07-06-2004, 10:53 PM   #3
    martid
    Inactive

martid HB User
    Re: My retainer makes me want to gag :(

I'm sure you will stop gagging soon. You may have stopped by the time you read this post. It's just a natural reaction when you are not used to have anything at the top of your mouth. Just be patient and persevere by wearing your retainer and try to relax and overcome the gagging reflex. You will be fine. Marti

Closed Thread