It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board

• New Dentures & Lots of Questions!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
    kellylynn123

kellylynn123 HB User
    Question New Dentures & Lots of Questions!!

Well this is my first post on here, and the first thing I want to say is how much reading all of your posts has help me already. Just a quick rundown about myself. I had 12 teeth pulled on June 14th and had an immediate upper denture put in. That all went fairly well. I have been back for a couple of adjustments and they have helped for the most part.
    Like a couple of other people I have read about, I feel like I have the major gum line on the top, and I even still catch myself covering my mouth when I smile. I am afraid if I have the dentist take off too much, then it won't fit right. Is that what the relign is for? I was never really told what a relign is, my dentist just told me that I would need to come back in a few months to have one done. He doesn't speak very good english so I didn't want to try and understand him explaining everything to me. I would've been ther all day.
    Anyway, I am doing pretty good eating things, other than the hard candies of course. But over the last couple of days I have noticed that I really need to use the fixodent to keep them in my mouth. As soon as it starts to wear off, I have to reapply or I feel like they are going to fall right out. Once again, is that what the relign is for??
    As you can see I have a lot of questions. I think I will stop for one night though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
    Sandybeech
    Veteran
    (female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
    Re: New Dentures & Lots of Questions!!

Welcome Kelly, It sounds like you are doing well so far. A reline is supposed to fill in the gaps created from shrinking and healing gums. Since you got an immediate denture which was created before your teeth were extracted it's fit was guess work on the labs part. Your mouth will go through many changes over the next several months- plan on lots of chair time at the dentist.
    You should find a way to communicate your questions. I suggest keep a written list of questions and personal observations about your denture. Maybe it would be wise to present the dentist with a written copy and ask that he/she return answers in writing. Maybe a translator is needed. If you can't ask the dentist questions how can you get the needed advice?
    If you are using adhesives many times every day, it is time for a reline, perhaps a soft liner.

Stop back with your questions often, the folks here are great!

Old 07-15-2004, 05:57 AM   #3
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
    Re: New Dentures & Lots of Questions!!

I agree its normal to need one or two relines on immediate dentures due to healing gums.
    I am like you- gummy. I've worn uppers for 6 years and am having new ones made. He said he'll try to put longer teeth in but they would have to sit further front on the denture and my front teeth would close further front of my lower. He said I may not notice it much and would get used to it. It will be checked out with a wax try in first. Then I'll go with his opinion. The most important thing is to be able to eat and speak right. I've gotten accustomed to not smiling as wide as I used to when I think about it, but my husband says my gums show even when just talking and I'm also the type that is always smiling so. My dentist said they've come far with natural looking teeth, but up close the gum on dentures still look artificial, so it would be better to have more teeth. But I lived with it for 6 years and most people don't realize I wear dentures unless I tell them. We notice it more because its us. I would wait for at least a year before having permanent dentures made- so your gums have had time to heal completely. Keep us posted and good luck.

Closed Thread